Jib Crane On Milling Machine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

platypus20

Reaction score
I'm getting to the age (55 this month) that lifting a 10" rotary table and the 10" chuck up on the mill table is getting harder and harder everytime. After much searching, looking and even more procrastinating I started a jib crane to do the lifting. I made a mounting pad to go on the Franken-Mill and bought a Harbor Freight pickup truck bed crane and will modify it to work. the RT weighs about 135# and the chuck is another 75#, this jib should be more than adequate for what I need. There are still details to work out, but so far so good.

1 - the legs and anchor studs
2 - the mounting plate
3 - legs in place
4 - mounting plate welded to the legs

jack

jib crane 002x.jpg

jib crane 012x.jpg

jib crane 004x.jpg

jib crane 019x.jpg

5 - crane kit
6 - post mounted
7 - checking clearances
8 - preliminary assembly

jack

jib crane 2 001x.jpg

jib crane 2 004x.jpg

jib crane 2 007x.jpg

jib crane 2 012x.jpg

9 - ring
10 - the ring welded into the shortened sliding arm
11 - set at min setting
12 - max setting

jib crane 3 001x.jpg

jib crane 3 014x.jpg

jib crane 3 024x.jpg

jib crane 3 020x.jpg

cool, hope it works out for you.

Cool idea. I've been contemplating making a mini hoist for ~200 lb items that would be mobile, but something like this is worth looking into as well.

Jack, I have a 10" unit also, I thought it was getting heavier but guess we are loosing some steam power, been thinking about something like that, thanks for the information, Lathe Nut

This project is moving right along, much faster than I originally thought. With the jib modified and welded in lifting eye, all assembled, its time to consider the lifting device to pick up the RT and the chuck, when needed. I was looking for a small chain fall or small electric lift, then decided to go with a piece from the basement warehouse. I had a small 1 ton chain fall in the basement, that was a job site pick up, problem was a 25' lift, and corresponding exceeding long hand chain. So after a quick clean up, I cut the lift chain to 7' and also cut the hand chain length down drastically. After reassembly, ran it up and down a few times and its now ready to go. As I was unsure of the history of this chain fall, I wouldn't have felt real comfortable, picking up close to its upper ranges, but for lifting about 150#, it seemed perfect.

1 - chain fall
2 - shows cut down hand chain and lift chain
3 - shown stowed away until needed
4 - cut off chains

jack

4-1.jpg

4-2.jpg

4-3.jpg

4-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back