Jerry Howells hit and miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get mine at the local hardware store. Off the shelf "O" rings work just fine. I know some people say you need to use Vitron, but I've never seen a difference. I've got several engines from 3/4" bore up to 2" bore and all run just fine on standard "Buna" "O" rings from the hardware store. I built Farmboy sn# 003 and sn #003-x2 ( the double sized one) and never had a problem.

Jim G

O-ring material depends on the type of fuel you intend to use. There are lots of chemical compatibility charts on the internet that will help you decide which material type is best for you.
I use viton with Coleman fuel with great success. Coleman fuel has a low octane rating but works well on my JH Farm Boy which has a low compression ratio.
Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:
I get mine at the local hardware store. Off the shelf "O" rings work just fine. I know some people say you need to use Vitron, but I've never seen a difference. I've got several engines from 3/4" bore up to 2" bore and all run just fine on standard "Buna" "O" rings from the hardware store. I built Farmboy sn# 003 and sn #003-x2 ( the double sized one) and never had a problem.

Jim G
I all use off the shelf "O" rings for my original an 20% larger farm boy. However have trouble with getting them in the cly {if using the standard} width an depth form the charts. Did you use the printed info for the grove?
Harvey

You can get bulk O-rings(20/pk) from E-Bay. These are the ones I use(1-1/4 OD x 1-1/16 ID). Later, Rick.

Attachments

• EBAY ORINGS.JPG
    EBAY ORINGS.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 70
I've had good success with The O-Ring Store LLC.

For the Howell Farm Boy I used Model B70117-BRN

They are inexpensive, unfortunately they no longer use USPS, so there is now a shipping fee. Just order lots of them to cover shpping.

Latest posts

Back