Jan Ridders Otto Four Stroke

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I was able to spend a little time on the Otto this afternoon and nailed down the vapor tank. It works excellent and looks good to boot!

I roughed out the sides and then turned the top portion on the lathe. It serves no real purpose to be round, I just thought it would look better.

5510926727_f5d090781f_z.jpg

The insets were milled with my new rotary table. There is an o-ring that goes between the sides and the 1.75 od glass.

5510927297_3ee0b5d589.jpg

The throttle/air mixture is controlled with a socket head that screws down and covers the air bypass hole. The other side is the filler.

5511525846_16da50f634_z.jpg

The Vapor tank finished. The glass was a bud vase and has a blue tint.

5511526076_609fb07386_z.jpg

5511526252_c34d3f7aac_z.jpg

5511526542_693bce6ef1_z.jpg

The engine running with the new tank and magnets set into the flywheel for balance. The motor now has full control of the idle with the mixture and it will rev from 800 RPM to 3500 pretty quickly.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn7zR3ZTI6M[/ame]

You can control the Revs with your finger covering the air bypass hole. With it open, it is too lean so it slows to an idle. With your finger over it, the mixture enriches and she speeds up.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llP3vhi8jkM[/ame]

Now to make a permanent mount of the coil and then pull it all apart and polish it all pretty.

More to come...

Doug

well... I think I am now done with the Otto and will start spending some time designing the V4.

Here is a pic of all the pieces that make up the engine... I did not realize how many bolts were in this thing... that's a lot of 6-32 tapping! The uprights are cut out and lightened. You can see the bearing in the middle upright, that is where the fan goes. The right upright has two holes to mount the coil. I also added some extra holes in the bottom plate to make it easier to get to the cap screws in the top plate from underneath the engine with the allen wrench.

5518610495_a08ebd38aa_b.jpg

It is all back together now and the final touches have been done to the legs and spacers. I built the fan today but it kinda bugs me... it makes some whinny noise (like a fan will I guess...) but it is functional and I will upload some vids tomorrow.

More to come...

Doug

Well.... I am officially done with the Otto, now it will be a discussion piece on my mantle. The number one question I get it is: "What do you do with it?". To which I respond: "Show it to you..."

She runs really good; idles at about 900 steady and revs to 3500 with the softer springs installed.
The vapor tank performs wonderfully and the engine will run for 45 minutes on one tank at 1500 RPM.
Maximum temperature is 222 F at full throttle for about 2 minutes, but does not seem to rise much after that.
The Vitron o-ring seals well and with a little squirt of 3-in-1 oil in the intake valve every 5-10 minutes, stays lubed.
Ignition coil with strong neodymium magnets installed on the flywheel produces a strong spark down to about 600 RPM.
Fan does circulate air well, but probably is not needed for this motor.

5520192628_eb0d12327d_b.jpg

5519603589_3c207e0fb1_b.jpg

5519603299_a640c7acf5_b.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words and advice during this build, it has been very rewarding to construct and complete.

That is all....

Doug

Hello Doug,

Very nice work and so fast! I'm sure Jan Ridders will be happy to see the product of his plans - you did him proud.

All the best,
Mike

I like shiny...

Thanks for the comments!

Here's a little video of the Otto finished and running:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmgmb5OuaW8[/ame]

That is all....

Doug

Back