It's time for spring cleaning!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xo18thfa

Reaction score
All right, it’s spring. Snow is gone, weather is warming up and everyone is getting ready for summer. But, before blasting off, get in the shop and clean up. They are a mess after a long winter’s work. You know what I am talking about so let’s get on it.

Get the workbench cleaned off and washed down. There grease and oil and crap everywhere. I bet you’ll find three more projects worth of parts under there.

Shop1.JPG

Organize all the parts and supplies and get them back on the shelf or in storage bins.

Shop2.JPG

The mill is atrocious. There are metal shards all over the place and you are tracking them in the house. The wife/girlfriend is really fuming. She’s getting stuck in the foot and there are rust spots in the shower.

Shop3.JPG

The lathes need attention too. Find all the attachment, fix and clean as needed.

Shop4.JPG

Put all the safety covers and stuff back on the machines. Inventory your metal stocks and expendable supplies, figure out what’s there.

Shop5.JPG

And get some nice pictures on the wall. Something to go along with the shop reference charts.

Shop6.JPG

While you are at it, get out the manuals and do proper services and preventive maintenance checks on all your equipment. Don’t complain, just do it. You have all weekend to get it done. Then you will be happy you did it.

Nice job and some good motivation. I won't dare show the state of my shop at the moment but I am working on a material rack right now, trying to get organized. Just came in for some dinner, inspiration and then back at 'er.

Cheers!

All good and proper, Bob.
I see you have a dark stripe on the wall behind each lathe. Me too! Just like yours.

I do too! A sheet of sheet metal fixes that and seals off the space behind the lathe/wall so that all the chips go in the chip pan and not in a big pile behind the lathe.....ask me how I know this.. ;D

Dave

Deanofid said:
All good and proper, Bob.
I see you have a dark stripe on the wall behind each lathe. Me too! Just like yours.

My shed looks like that too.
(In my dreams :big:)
Pete

I like the pin up girl...though I'd never get away with it!

:big:

Splatter from the 9 x 20 got the pin up girl all dirty. I gave her a bath (oh brother!!)

xo18thfa said:
Splatter from the 9 x 20 got the pin up girl all dirty. I gave her a bath (oh brother!!)

Lucky you ;D

When you've finished I know of a 20' container that would welcome your ministrations.

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Lucky you ;D

When you've finished I know of a 20' container that would welcome your ministrations.

Best Regards
Bob

That's the least of the problem. The part about metal shards in the house is true. My wife got stabbed in the foot by one. She was really mad. Rust spots in the shower too. Those spots are hard to clean off without using a grinder.

we want to see before pictures . that looks like a new shop . It would take a small miracle for my shop to get and stay that organized.
Tin

I did not take any "before" pictures this time. "Before" it was not that bad, actually did a complete cleaning last fall after finishing "Nina". But it can get bad:

Before%202.JPG

Before%203.JPG

Before getting the new 9 x 20

Before%204.JPG

Ok just checking I am not the only one that turns every horizontal surface into a storage shelf. for clutter.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
Ok just checking I am not the only one that turns every horizontal surface into a storage shelf. for clutter.
Tin
Oh yeah, I've got loads of clutter. I actually removed a couple benches because all they did was gather piles of junk.

There is a "Murphy's Law":

"Projects expand to cover all available surface area"

Latest posts

Back