It's raining on Australia Day

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swordsmith

Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Jamie, I am a 28 yr old Aircraft Maintenance engineer. I have always had a interest in engines. My woking career so far has been spent in a aircraft piston engine overhaul shop. I spent alot of my school days designing and drawing small model aircraft engines, but never had the chance to build any. I purchsed a small lathe a few years ago and have been testing my skills. My progess in slow, plus according to my wife I have to many projects.

I have do have a fair list,

Restoring la pavoni 2 group coffee machine for the shed(shop).
Restoring a 1940's Howard Rotary Hoe
TEF 20 fergusion tractor
A part built Ospery GP-4 homebuilt aircraft
A 1970 HG holden ute
Amatuer Blacksmith
Various finished and unfinished rc aircraft
A collection of plans for model engines I hope to build
and apparently the most important renovating our 127 yr old house

I have built a small wobbler, and a mill style engine based on a mash up of a couple of elmer designs. I though starting bigger would be easier so I doubled the scale of the mill engine. I soon found the limitations of my small H & F AL-50 lathe. I think I nearly distroyed it.

The engine turned out ok, but I was never real happy with the way it turned over. It had a few alginment problems. It has been sitting on the filing cabinent at work for the past 2 years (wife didn't like it in the display cabinent). Because it's Australia Day long weekend, and it will be raining for all of it, have decided to have a crack at fixing it.

I hope to post a few photos of it in finished projects.

Jamie

Welcome and happy Australia Day Jamie. It's mild weather here, down in Melbourne, will be going to the Mornington street parade later this afternoon. You certainly have a lot to keep you busy on your list. We could do with a bit of your rain down here to put out some of the bush fires.

Paul.

Last edited:
G'day Jamie. You sure got your hands full there

Jamie, welcome aboard, but for goodness sake, get your priorities straight! Put that engine down and fix the coffee machine!

You'd be amazed how many of my lathe projects have been coffee related and a Pavoni is definately worth fixing!

G'day Jamie,

Welcome to the forum, Aircraft maintenance engineer hey. Good stuff, I am sure that you have a great eye for detail. I am also sure you will feel at home here.

Hot and sunny here in Perth, could do with some of you'r rain to top up our dams.
Mind you the bush fires in Victoria would be more important for sure.

Hang in there Herbie I hope you are not in danger. The bloody smoke from the fires can get unbearable at times. The fires we had here a few years ago came within 5 km from my home, I was away for work at the time, Was Shi*#ing myself.

Jamie please keep us posted with you'r progress on the list of projects. With Pictures too!

cheers
Baz.

Jamie, welcome aboard, but for goodness sake, get your priorities straight! Put that engine down and fix the coffee machine!

You'd be amazed how many of my lathe projects have been coffee related and a Pavoni is definately worth fixing!

Hi Jamie.

Please do not fix the coffee machine because Gus will be jobless. I make very good black coffee the good old fashion way when coffee machine was not invented yet. Just found why some of my lathe jobs were not properly done."Ran out of Coffee Power"
Will cut all that crab out.

Jamie, Warm welcome from faraway Singapore.

Warning. Too much fishing over-tanned a fair Chinese Bloke. Shop is not mine.Gus is only the coffee boy.

IMG_0180.jpg

Last edited:
It's -20 here and the world outside is all white.

I'm wishing I was Gus...even if I had to make the coffee.

Back