Is there a good live steam primer?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korben

Reaction score
I'm very new to live steam. I'm collecting the bits and pieces for a complete Stuart S-50 powered steam plant and I have an endless list of questions.

Is there a good book that explains the basics of live steam model engineering? I'm interested more in the mechanical and pipe-fitting aspects than machine work.

Specific areas of interest include making steam-tight pipe connections with ME threads, fuel and burner systems and their piping, maintenance, safety, what are the recommended oils, sealants, fuels, and water, for that matter, to use.

I'd love to get a book that covers these basics, if there is one.

Regards,
Korben

Hi again Korben
In addition to my yesterday`s post there is one really important book to find, even if I dont know, if it is available in english. This is named
Rob van Dort - Handbuch Modelldampfmaschinen
one of the most important bokks for steam engine builders!
Regards
Gerhard

Thank you Gerhardvienna and Lohring for your responses. I appologize for taking a month to reply. I've been extremely busy - all business and no time to think about my hobby activities.

I've looked at the sites you suggested and it seems there is plenty of good information there.

Thanks again,
Korben

The pair of KN harris books would be a great start. get the boiler book as well as the engine book.

harrisknmodelboilersboilermaking1982pbksbb.jpg

harrisknmodelstationarymarine1969.jpg

The Model Engineer's Handybook: A Practical Manual on Model Steam Engines ...
by Paul Nooncree Hasluck
https://archive.org/details/modelengineersh00haslgoog
Tin

Latest posts

Back