Is it possible to make a 2stroke v twin?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneyless

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an idea to make a 2stroke (80°) v-twin with a singel (shared) crankshaft. Is it possible to make one of that or the 2stroke circuit will kill my idea?

Hi all,

I have an idea to make a 2stroke (80°) v-twin with a singel (shared) crankshaft. Is it possible to make one of that or the 2stroke circuit will kill my idea?
It will work, but there probably won't be any advantage over a single of the same displacement.

Snowmobiles have used inline twin or even triples of 2 stroke engines with a single crankshaft. I think they avoided a V-engine for space concerns rather than technical problems.

You can but you will have to have 2 isolated crankcase or you will need to supercharge it to pressurize the crankcase to get fuel to transfer into the cylinder.
That's what happens (central crank seal, not supercharging!) on the Jawa twin 2-stroke motorbikes I am familiar with. I've ever had to do it, but I assume changing the central seal means pressing the crank apart. This unusual engine (East German IFA BK350) gets around that problem by using a flat-twin configuration and a common crank case volume into which the charge is inducted for both cylinders.
http://www.ostmotorrad.de/mz/bk/imgalg/sprengbkmot.jpg

Consider using a labyrinth seal for the center seal. Those do not require the crank to be pressed apart because they don't wear out.

You could use the Detroit Powerstroke (2-stroke diesel) system whereby the air is force fed (super charger) via ports in the base of the cylinder. There is no pressure or fuel in the crankcase.

Latest posts

Back