My Jerry Howell v-twin (s/n #599) has sprung into life

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewW

Reaction score
Hi
I started my JH v-twin build in March 2022 and documented my progress on my YouTube channel @learningturningmetal
Yesterday I managed to get the engine to run. More work is needed for a fuel supply and a starter motor.
It will then need some fine tuning. I won't be adding the optional fans as per the Jerry Howell drawing.

This is a video of the first run....

For those interested in making a JH v-twin, my YouTube video series might be of help....

Thank you for sharing your journey on this project Andrew. Excellent result. Looking forward to your starter and tank solutions for selfish reasons ... a set of drawings and the small parts set are on a shelf in my shed.

Thank you for sharing your journey on this project Andrew. Excellent result. Looking forward to your starter and tank solutions for selfish reasons ... a set of drawings and the small parts set are on a shelf in my shed.
Thanks. It would be a good Winter project 😉

If you are looking for ideas, here's two completed V-Twin builds on Youtube:

Among other things, the fuel delivery system is different between the two builds as the one uses a pump to move the fuel up to the carbs while the other relies on the high fuel tank.

It's great to see your engine up and running! That was a challenging build and I'm sure you are glad to see it purring away. The finishing bits take quite a bit of time, but it's not so bad when you have a working engine.

If you are looking for ideas, here's two completed V-Twin builds on Youtube:

Among other things, the fuel delivery system is different between the two builds as the one uses a pump to move the fuel up to the carbs while the other relies on the high fuel tank.

It's great to see your engine up and running! That was a challenging build and I'm sure you are glad to see it purring away. The finishing bits take quite a bit of time, but it's not so bad when you have a working engine.

Hi crypto
Thanks for the links.
I think I'm going to opt for a pump mechanism for the fuel as per the JH drawings.
For the starter I'm going to try a scooter starter with a needle roller clutch.
That's the plan, but plans can always change!
Cheers
Andrew

Hi
I started my JH v-twin build in March 2022 and documented my progress on my YouTube channel
Yesterday I managed to get the engine to run. More work is needed for a fuel supply and a starter motor.
It will then need some fine tuning. I won't be adding the optional fans as per the Jerry Howell drawing.

Andrew, love the sound of a V-twin, congratulations !!!, Peter.

Hi Andrew what ignition system are you using on this engine .
Hi
Jerry Howell drawing suggests using separate ignition systems for each cylinder. Effectively one magnet and two hall sensors. So I decided to go for 2 x RCEXL single ignition systems from justengines. I guess it's possible to go with a dual spark ignition (which I used on my Hoglet v-twin), but that would need two magnets (reverse poles) and one dual hall sensor. So I stuck with the original design. I've tried changing designs in the past and got into difficulty 😔
Cheers
Andrew

Hi
I started my JH v-twin build in March 2022 and documented my progress on my YouTube channel @learningturningmetal

For those interested in making a JH v-twin, my YouTube video series might be of help....

Hi

What a beauty really. This engine is on my list for me to convert to a 3d printable working model. I already did the same with Howel's Vfour, https://www.printables.com/model/714791-working-model-of-the-howell-v-four-engine. There is info about that model in other threads here too.

Wanted to ask about the fans, are they not needed for cooling or are you running only short times? I think the fans would look really cool, pun intended!
Anyway I know next to nothing about real metal model engines. Mine are 3d printed and always run cold. They also don't leak oil ;-)
Take care and keep on building.
Kees

What a beauty really. This engine is on my list for me to convert to a 3d printable working model. I already did the same with Howel's Vfour, https://www.printables.com/model/714791-working-model-of-the-howell-v-four-engine. There is info about that model in other threads here too.

Wanted to ask about the fans, are they not needed for cooling or are you running only short times? I think the fans would look really cool, pun intended!
Anyway I know next to nothing about real metal model engines. Mine are 3d printed and always run cold. They also don't leak oil ;-)
Take care and keep on building.
Kees
Thanks Kees. Your 3D printed v4 looks amazing. Yeah I only run for short periods, so no fans needed. I found that the only weak element of the V-twin design is the tiny brass connector between the gear case and the crankcase. Otherwise the engine runs very well.
Cheers
Andrew

Beautiful engine and runs well!
There is something really special about getting an I.C. engine to run the first time.
Scott

As addictive as 3d modeling is and 3d printing is, I suffer day and night 🤣😂

Latest posts

Back