Inexpensive , compact vertical bandsaw

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenErickson

Reaction score
I just recently joined, introduced myself to your wonderful forum and thought I would try and contribute for my first real post.

I did a search and only found one other post on the subject so I hope this helps out a bit.
I profile a lot of stainless/high carbon stock from flat stock that is normally less than .200 and needed a space saving and inexpensive vertical band saw. This saw could be used to profile many parts intended for small engines also;).

Many companies make porta-band metal cutting saws. I used a Dewalt and removed the handle and simply set it between a length of steel channel (in this case, c-clamped) to my workbench legs. I then made a heavy steel platten to replace the small sheet metal rests that these saws are shipped with. While not a full featured vertical bandsaw I find this is an economical and space saving solution that has worked well for me.
bandsawdewalt.jpg

bandsaw2.jpg

bandsawdewalt.jpg

bandsaw1-1.jpg

bandsaw2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ken.
Manual hacksawing 1 1/2" Square M.S. leaves me a bit tired but gave me some good arm muscles.Been eyeing a Japanese Makita
Portable Bandsaw. Your post gave me some idea how to use same. Please post fotos of 1/2''------1 1/2" M.S. bar being cut.
Gus has powered saw phobia. May make a manual slide with vice to secure M.S. Bar for band sawing.

Gus,

I will be happy to take pictures but excuse my ignorance. I am not sure what m.s. Bar is ?

Gus,

I will be happy to take pictures but excuse my ignorance. I am not sure what m.s. Bar is ?

I believe he meant Mild Steel, but he will probably comment here and let you know for sure.

Nice setup! I've been contemplating something similar, but have not needed it enough yet to pull the trigger and make it happen.

I wanted a small cutoff saw, and couldn't find one to fit my shop, which is really small [10'x12']

I used a Dewault handheld bandsaw, a few pieces of aluminum and steel angle iron, and a small vise

With the right blade [10-12tpi] it is very fast on aluminum, and pretty fast on steel.

Home made cutoff saw.jpg

I wanted a small cutoff saw, and couldn't find one to fit my shop, which is really small [10'x12']

I used a Dewault handheld bandsaw, a few pieces of aluminum and steel angle iron, and a small vise

With the right blade [10-12tpi] it is very fast on aluminum, and pretty fast on steel.

Great idea! These little saws really are amazing. My first one was a HF model, used it for 3 or so years, but got tired of rebuilding and tinkering with the tracking. These Dewalts are plug and play.

Gus,
I am glad you had me cut this piece of 1.250 mild steel bar stock, It made me think just how much I hated hack-sawing parts. I have a 18tpi bi-metal blade on the saw but if I was going to cut a lot of parts this thickness I would drop down to at least a 14tpi. My farm supply store stocks 24, 18, and 14tpi blades.

DSC02579-1.jpg

DSC02581-1_edited-1.jpg

Hi Ken and fellow members.
Just placed local order for a Makita Portable BandSaw. Will pick up today. Need it to saw 1 1/2 " square Mild Steel Bar to make a boring head. This band saw looked not big in the flyer and same hopefully not too small.
My manual hacksawing has improved with my mindset and attitude change.That is give myself the time required and no rush.Drops of Tapmatic Oil helps making easier to saw.
The new band saw will make it easier when sawing the stubborn M.S.Bar.Here in Singapore M.S. abbreviation was left behind in the local "U" and Technical College for mild steel by the British Colonial masters. Singapore now a Republic for 50 years.
Bought Makita,Made in Japan for peace of mine. Thanks for the post.

OK Guys,

Here is my Christmas present from Her Majesty De Boss.Bought Makita,Made in Japan.
Was a wee bitty chicken so tried cutting a 1" x 1/4" Alum.flat bar at the lowest speed.
The best cut ever had in years. From now no more sweating cutting 2"x 2" sq.M.S. Bar.
OK Will cut the 1 1/2 x 1 1/2" Bar for BoreHead.Will figure our how to mount BanSaw on a bracket later. All suggestions welcome.
Thanks. Ken. Please advise if cutting coolant required.

IMG_1160.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on your Christmas present!
It looks as if the top handle comes off very similar to my Dewalt. I have seen others mount these saws in a variety of ways. even wall mounted for the ultimate in space saving.

I cut a lot of 410SS, 416SS, CPM154(high end cutlery steel), CPM D2, D2, A2 and have never used coolant. I do purchase decent bi-metal blades, which here in the states run around $9.00 apiece. I keep several on hand. The way these saws are set up there is a "twist" to the blades from the wheels to the guide rollers. My blades normally will fail due to a crack, and not usually at the weld.

Again, congrats and good luck! I hope you get as much use out of your saw as I do mine.

Congrats on your Christmas present!
It looks as if the top handle comes off very similar to my Dewalt. I have seen others mount these saws in a variety of ways. even wall mounted for the ultimate in space saving.

I cut a lot of 410SS, 416SS, CPM154(high end cutlery steel), CPM D2, D2, A2 and have never used coolant. I do purchase decent bi-metal blades, which here in the states run around $9.00 apiece. I keep several on hand. The way these saws are set up there is a "twist" to the blades from the wheels to the guide rollers. My blades normally will fail due to a crack, and not usually at the weld.

Again, congrats and good luck! I hope you get as much use out of your saw as I do mine.

Hi Ken,

Cut 1 1/2 x 1 M.S. Bar with ease. Manual sawing would leave me geezing away. After band saw cut,I had pleanty of time and energy left to complete
tool holder in 2 1/2 hours. Hand grinding HSS tool bit securely clamped in its
tool holder gave added hand grip advantage and kept heat away from hands with frequent ice water dips.Will adopt this method for future HSS tool bit grinding.See attached

IMG_1165.jpg

Hi Ken,
Happy New Year.
Of all things ,picked mild flu from my Boss.

OK .The Makita BandSaw has made Gus pro-active. Procrastination is now a past habit when encountering tedious jobs which require hacksawing.
.A friend require a jig to remove/re-install 1/16 cross pin off/on Shimano Bait Caster Reel. Made this jig in 2 hours. W/o jig,it is most likely reel shaft or reel gets damaged.3mm Counter Drill bought from Arceurotrade used to drill the holes for 3mm holes.Makes the top clamp look good.
Your expert advise.How to lubricate bandsaw blade? That is the medium.

IMG_1168.jpg

Last edited:
First of all gus congratulations on the fine Christmas present. I have always had a respect/ admiration for the Makita brand but usually tend to lean toward DeWalt myself. Milwaukee and Metabo are very nice as well.

Your expert advise.How to lubricate bandsaw blade? That is the medium.
In USAF tech school we used boelube.

70200-13.jpg

the old fashioned saw blade lube is bees wax . I buy unprocessed wax from the local bee keeper for IIRC $ 1.30 a pound or something like that and then melt and pour into aluminum cupcake pan liners so end up with cakes weighing a couple of ounces or so.
that is what i use inside on the garage saw I use cutting oil on steel.
tin

Hi Tin Falcon,
Thanks for the info.Dewalt is quite pricy here in Singapore.
Will get the boss to get me some bee wax candle from our RC Church opposite.
The BandSaw was really a jab in the arm when tackling bar stocks.Procrastination now eliminated.Now take 2 mins to cut M.S.Bar compared to 15mins by manual sawing.
Now nursing a mild flu.Will take it easy over the next few days.

Happy New year.

A little web browsing at home depot shows the Dewalt, makita and milwaukee all available for just around $300 I do try to look at features and not just the yellow color. I have a band saw in the garage so do not need to spend $ 300 on one.

IIRC the Harbor freight knockoffs can be had for $70.
like I said Makita and Milwaukee are excellent brands. I tried ryobi hate the stuff. I spent 6 years in R & D for a yacht builder all the corded tolls were Black and Decker professional what is now Dewalt. the cordless drills were Makita.
Dewalt is what I use and like. I have used the red tools and good blue ones some and would not hesitate to put my money on them if that is what was available when the need arose.
Tin

Maktec is Makita Japan subsidiary in China but they make a limited range. Tradesman firend bought Cordless Drill/Screw Driver
and found it as good as Makita and at half the price. Replacement batteries quite affordable.
Some months back bought Maktec Trimmer for S$80 US$64 for my home carpentry.Performed well.
Believe Maktec is sold in USA n UK N Auss.

IMG_1169.jpg

Hi Ken,
Holding a Makita bandsaw to cut straight and square take too long to master. Right now figuring out a vertical column to hold the bandsaw. Bandsaw has no provision to be mounted on column.Your foto is giving some idea.Will post when I get it right and going.
Found a niche to locate Bandsaw Table.

It is proven my manual hacksaw cuts better than the Makita but I am left geezing away. There is no way I go back to the hacksaw.

IMG_1175.jpg

Gus,

To me it looks as if the top handle comes off much like my Dewalt with a single thru bolt. Here is a link to a company that fabricates platen/stands for Porta-band saws. The only reason I am linking is to give an idea of the different ways things can be accomplished. (Mods, if the link is not permitted please feel free to remove).
http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Portaband-Tables-_c_35.html

For examples of how others have mounted Porta-band saws here is a good link.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Mounting-Pictures-Needed?highlight=porta+band

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the lead.I got it. Will next project.Will be bench and pillar mounted with a rectangular cutting table like yours.
9am now .will work till lunch with breaks on the BoreHead.But I have another smaller piece to bandsaw cut.
Will be using 12mm Tungsten Alloy endmill. Cut very well last nite.

Latest posts

Back