Indicator Holders and Such...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great to me Zee!....feel free to wip up another set.....I'll send an envelope ;D

Dave

zee you are becoming a skilled machinist day after day :eek:

and I'm starting to be a little envious

joking a'part, well done job

Thanks Dave and ariz...your comments mean a lot to me.
Yep...making progress slowly but surely and this forum helps a lot.

Looking good Zee. ;D

When you dropped the hot parts in the oil, were they still glowing red or had they cooled back down to invisible by that time? Trying to get an idea of how hot you had the metal.

Kermit

I do like blackening parts, they look so much nicer black.
I only ever heat my parts to blue hot and that seems to do the trick for me.
Is there any benefit to heat to red hot?

All I use to hold the oil is a round tin that used to hold baby formula.

Thanks Arnold.

Kermit...When they got red (or mostly red) I immediately dropped them in. They still looked red as I put them. However, I can't say I got the entire part the same color. I figured when at least half of it was red...the rest couldn't be far different. (But truthfully...I was a bit nervous as this was the first time.)

tmuir...I don't know the benefit...I suspect part of it is like boiling water...you know the temperature by looking at it. I can't say I saw blue hot. The parts darkened a bit when heating them...but I would have no idea what the temperature is.

Thanks all.

I've heard that gunsmiths have some kind of chemical in "spray form" that blackens parts without heating them up. It's difficult to obtain here in Portugal.

Hi Noitoen,

I've seen some posts where members have talked about chemically changing the color but I haven't gotten to the point of learning more about it...yet.

Noitoen said:
I've heard that gunsmiths have some kind of chemical in "spray form" that blackens parts without heating them up. It's difficult to obtain here in Portugal.

You can buy liquid or cream to wipe on to chemically blacken guns.
I bought the cream as its meant to be better as I plan in the future to make a clock that will have a mild steel frame that will be too big for me to oil blacken and I don't want to risk warping the frame with heat.

I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how good it will be.

Tryin not to veer offtopic too much. Tmuir, and anyone else interested in steel finishing. Passivation -I'm aware that almost all of the equipment at my company which doesn't receive paint or a coating of some sort, gets passivated. Most often this is a special mixture of proprietary ingredients in a base usually of Nitric acid, but always some type of acid bath. Special corrision inhibitors blah blah blah. But what I'm getting at is a process called simply "passivation" by the guys at work is used when nothing else is put on the metal.

Anyone else have more experience with the process I'm refering to?

No problem being off topic...I'm usually off myself...

But this looks like an interesting topic and worthy of its own thread...anybody care to start it?

Kermit...just saw you posted while I was typing.

Latest posts

Back