I'm getting really angry at my computer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generatorgus

Reaction score
:rant::wall::mad:

After this post,
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f29/itunes-16863/?highlight=ipod
and trying many different solutions from the Itunes help, I just gave up on my Ipod in total frustration.

Recently I tried the Apple geek squad phone help. I was informed that since my new Ipod was over 3 months old, this session would cost me $29. Disgruntled but still wanting my Ipod working I agreed and wore out one tech and and got transfered to the super geek tech.
After a mind numbing 3 hour proceedure of poking around in the recessesses of my computer and restarting it about 5 or 6 times we finally got Itunes to recognize my Ipod, WE thought!!
After hanging up I decided to play with it and suddenly came to realize that I had accidently plugged my old, broken, Ipod in, the new one still didn't work (neither does the old one) and I wasn't about to call "Rodger" back just yet as my ass and ear were still numb.

All that said, that is only part of what is wrong. Part of the Itunes reinstall invoved uninstalling all of the Apple programs programs including Quicktime which I need to be able to view any videos I take with my Nikon camera.
When I try to reinstall Quicktime I get this notice. "Another installation is in progress. You must finish thst installation before continuing." and I get the same message when I try to install other programs.
I can't figure out what is still trying to install or how to finish that installation.
I'm running Windows Vista and I think IE 7.
My thoughts are starting to turn to throwing my 3 year old Dell out in the driveway and running over it with my truck multiple times.
That would make me feel good for a while:D, but then my wife would ***** about me having to buy a new computer.

Hi,
I feel for you, iTunes is not the easiest to install in some cases.

The 'Another install' message means one of the uninstalls still needs to perform a few steps, this generally occurs when you reboot. (The files are in-use and can't be deleted).

It is probable that you could install Windows 7 on your machine, a much better experience than Vista. You would then not lose the investment in hardware.

If you are using iTunes only to manage the music on your iPod (not buying from the iTunes store), then Winamp is an alternative option.

Gerrit

Last edited:
With the infinite number of permutations of hardware (processors, graphics and sound cards, I/O, etc) and software(OS, drivers and applications) made by a nearly infinite number of manufacturers, it always amazed me that Windows machines work at all. Troubleshooting is a nightmare. After years of tinkering with them I finally gave up and got a machine with 1 hardware configuration by one manufacturer that also makes the software. Tinkering done. Just saying I felt your frustration for way too long.

Gerrit, thanks for your reply, it doesn't solve anything yet, but thanks.

I'm going to try uninstalling all of the Apple programs again and take a shot at Winamp. I googled it and it looks like a winner.

Stan, what did you switch to, are you refering to Apple?

I can appreciate Stan's approach. The Apple world works so well because they control all aspects of everything. However I went the opposite direction. I have made sure that there is no "i" anything in my life.

With regards to music, I like to save my files in the format I want to use in a location that I choose. I buy my music from Amazon as MP3 files without DRM and have all of my music on a giant thumb drive. I can play it in any computer I am sitting at using whatever media player is already there.

Generatorgus, First off, grab your Dell recovery discs if you have them, sometimes they are actually stored on the Hard drive, which is kinda dumb if you ask me, but hey what do I know ... lol

Next, do a repair install of Vista using either the discs or the loaded files and get that duck in line ;)

After you have done that install Microsoft Security Essentials, it's free from Microsoft and it will replace all the rubbish 'security' software you were using. In this day and age, the biggest security threat is the one that has NOT been discovered yet, and for that there is no defense full stop! The rest of the nonsense you read about security programs is nothing more than marketing.

Reinstall iTunes and Quicktime and you should be good to go.

Update, I got the Itunes uninstalled, seems that somehow my AVG security wants to get involved, that's what tha stalled installation was about.
I installed Winamp, nice looking program, but unfortunately it doesn't support my Ipod 6th generation Nano, although I did get Winamp to at least recognize it.

I reinstalled Itunes but the same problem persists. I'm thinking I should just get an MP3.

Tumpy, I'm going to take a shot at your suggestions, but I've got to read up on how to go about this.

Generatorgus, If you need any help just holler, I'd be only too happy to help out.

Doing the repair install is fairly straight forward. Be aware though, that after it is done some of your programs will need to be re-installed (you can do that without needing to uninstall them first).

You will also need to set-up any customizations like the wallpaper and so-on but that is pretty painless.

Trumpy, Thanks, I'll probably take you up on that as I'm wanting to get this staightened out.
I'll get back to you on that.

GUS

Latest posts

Back