Finally getting my shop back....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joerom

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
After being away from this and selling my equipment due to medical reasons for which I was in misery for over a year, I am in much better health now and trying to get going again.. I got my Grizzly mill back that I converted to 5 axis CNC and is still basically unused.. I have the 4th rotary axis hooked up and ready but do not have a 5th axis yet, but it is already wired and the plug is there for the 5th axis.. I am not sure what I want for the 5th axis yet.. I also have a Grizzly G0463 mill which also belonged to me at one time.. Then I picked up a Jet 1236 lathe that was pretty dirty and did not look too good, so I took it apart and cleaned and painted it and it turns out that it is actually a very nice lathe.. I did put new motor bearings in it because they seemed quite dry.. Everything else was already good.. It has a 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck, a face plate, steady rest, taper attachment and collet chuck setup.. I have not cleaned up the accessories yet but I will get to them.. I also have an indexing head with chuck and tailstock..
001 (2).JPG
002 (2).JPG

I am not sure what I will be making with the CNC, because I need to learn some drawing and what not. I just ordered a pump for coolant for it. I want to see it do something. I do plan on some barstock engines and I have a Congreve clock to restore. I am not pressing myself anymore and I will do what ever seems like the thing to do at that time. Being in the hospital 3 times in the past year has changed the way I do things a lot. So I am just here to have fun. I will try to post anything I do with the CNC and have air machined some things but no chips yet. I did air machine a simple V8 block with the rotary axis but that was just playing around...............

I added a band saw to my shop now. Was doing it the hard way before. I am not getting things done as fast as I once did, too many set backs. I have decided om making the Hoglet as an exercise in learning CNC . This was a V2 that was done in Model Builder Magazine a while back. I chose it because it has fairly simple lines and drawing it should not be too difficult for an old dog. I did actually draw the crankcase front and back and air machined it, which included a tool change for drilling. I am thinking I would like to make it out of brass with black cast iron jugs. Brass has really gone crazy in pricing.
I did get a coolant pump for the mill which was never added, because it was actually never used other than a few very small test pieces. I am also thinking about a DRO for the other Grizzly mill. I have installed them before and like them a lot, but it is just another project.........
001 (2).JPG

I added a band saw to my shop now. Was doing it the hard way before. I am not getting things done as fast as I once did, too many set backs. I have decided om making the Hoglet as an exercise in learning CNC . This was a V2 that was done in Model Builder Magazine a while back. I chose it because it has fairly simple lines and drawing it should not be too difficult for an old dog. I did actually draw the crankcase front and back and air machined it, which included a tool change for drilling. I am thinking I would like to make it out of brass with black cast iron jugs. Brass has really gone crazy in pricing.
I did get a coolant pump for the mill which was never added, because it was actually never used other than a few very small test pieces. I am also thinking about a DRO for the other Grizzly mill. I have installed them before and like them a lot, but it is just another project.........View attachment 126746
I'm jealous.

Latest posts

Back