Ignore this topic

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the compliments Bog. Your guess is wrong:eek:)

Try again, Wes

Here's not much of a hint. I've been a full time machinist for 13 years and I've never needed one of these till now:eek:)

Wes, darn you, I can't quit thinking of the possibillities for making tools using CNC now that you've shown that gorgeous form tool.

Sorry for the OT, I'll go away on this, but I just wanted to share this recurring crazy idea I keep having. Everyone knows the Deckel Single Lip Tool Grinder? They sell for anywhere from say $1000 to like $4000 if newer. People try to build more versatile (or sometimes less versatile) grinders like the Qorns et al.

For the kind of money that Deckel costs, it sure seems like you could build a CNC tool grinder. I'm picturing a little mill, say Sieg sized, with a 4th axis and a tool post grinder for a spindle. Sure seems like you could make some cool stuff quick and easy with a rig like that. End mill sharpening would be trivial. Custom tool shapes would be very doable. I guess an HSM'er would never go to the trouble, but if I ever found my self with a small mill like that I'd be tempted!

Back to the regularly scheduled and totalling awesome Wes tooling and pillar show now!

Cheers,

BW

Thanks Bob, I did make a mistake on my tool. I just thought of it a few min. ago. I can work around it though. I'll explain when I start cutting:eek:)

Wes

Here is the other end of that tool I was working on. I bored out the fat end of it.

CIMG0213a.jpg

I also cut all the pieces to legnth on my bandsaw. The distance from the blade to the vise is to great to cut stuff this small. To make it work I just backed up the brass with a piece of keystock that went almost to the blade. Here is a picture.
CIMG0220.jpg

To be continued....

Everything else was straight forward. I was polishing the tit of my extra part (part #13)when it hit me that I was only supposed to make six sets. Huh?
sound like time to play lets make a deal with Brass_Machine LOL
Man the finish on that bore looks fantastic.
Tin

Finsih was a Ra 16micron. I really didn't think the finish would come out like that. Steve must have brought me some luck.

Those look Great!!! How is the fit with the piston? Did it come out pretty good?

Wes

The fit felt good to me. The piston , when pushed into the cylinder, would not fall out. I have not drilled the inlet port yet so a vacum was created.
I had to blow air into the bottom of the cylinder to and the piston would rise up.
Tim

I'll post some pictures later, but. I pressed a small bearing into the cup that I bored out. Then I made a sleeve that was a snug fit into the inside of the bearing. It was drilled 5/32 so the pillars are a slip fit into it. This will be held in a drill chuck in my tail stock. Now when I use my new profile tool, I can slide this over the outboard end to support the shaft good. I think a center drilled in the end of a shaft this small would be a wast of time. Remember the profile tool will be taking a cut that is .750" wide.

I'll be gone till Monday evening, Wes

Bob I wish I could tell you? The only thing I can tell you is mabey the chips loading up in the flutes burnished the hole??? I had to eyeball the twist of the endmill to get it on center so I assumed it was off some? I am slightly worried that I may have messed something else up. It seems like when something falls into place as well as that bore did then there is something I have missed elsewhere. But... I'll keep them fingers crossed.
Tim

Well I wouldn't worry about Tim they look fine. Not sure how much I am going to get done today. The arthritis in my hands is pretty bad this weekend and nothing seems to be helping.

What they call those steady rests that are just a single bearing on axis? Cat heads? This will be like a cat head that mounts in the tailstock, eh?

That's a cool idea for really small parts. In my continuing quest to over engineer everything, I'm wondering if there would be some way to make one that accepts collets or sleeves to hold different sizes? It's a wonder Hardinge didn't make something like that. Perhaps they did. Of course then you'd have to buy 2 expensive 5C collets in the sizes desired, but it sure would be slick.

Neat idea, Wes!

Best,

BW

I doubt there is much to sweat with Tim's work. He's pretty meticulous and he plays that CNC machine like a bloody piano. This young guy was punching buttons like an accountant with a last minute tax return...(grin). Little cylinders soon started piling up like popcorn. Being a manual only guy, the chance to see him run the CNC was a treat. I sort of had a hard time with the idea that we were cutting up a number of parts after he'd made them, but cut them up we did, as the photos he posted show.

All the while, he patiently and graciously fielded questions from an ignorant, but quite curious old fart. At least one of us had a real good time and Tim didn't hesitate to invite me back to annoy him again. He even loaded me up with all sorts of inserts and some much needed metal to play with. Thanks Tim... I had a ball.

Steve

PS... that aluminum is going to work perfectly for the new engine base. I can get the whole thing out of the larger piece, with very little cutting required. Already half way into making the new ball cutter heads, for the carbide inserts. The boring bars will come next.

I had thought of getting something like that. The only problem is on my little South Bend there isn't room. So this is what I came up with:eek:)

Wes

Wes, that was aimed at Bob.

I was going to buy one of those 2" chucks and make one up out of an old MT drill and a couple of ball races. It would be perfect for holding tubes and things.

John

I had a great time also Steve. What I didn't tell you was next time I'm going to have you running a machine. ;) It does go to show how fun this hobby can be when you're having so much fun you can't stop making parts. I'm looking foward to seeing what you come up with to hold those little inserts. Well I have to go continue my fight with Altell wish me luck.
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back