Ignition System for model Hit and Miss?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcrotalus

Reaction score
I have been away from the hobby for a decade or so and now I am finishing an old hit and miss model engine build. The Baker Monitor from Lone Star I think it was. I am getting close to the stage where I will need an ignition system. What are people using these days? I would like to purchase a complete system that is known to work. That way when I cant get it running I will know that it is not the ignition system.

Thanks
Todd

I don't know where you are but most american items are too expensive in Australia because of freight costs
rcexl make a good cdi unit for model planes and should be available in most countries. there are cheap cdi on ebay but some are not reliable.

The RCEXL clones I've used do have automatic advance though, which can make it hard to get the timing right for the first start. Turning the engine over slowly by hand throws a spark at a way different place than when the engine is turning at running speed. They still work, it's just a trap if you don't know about it (and I spent many hours chasing my tail and adjusting the carb until I worked it out).

Latest posts

Back