Bob Shores Model Engine Ignition Book

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One ISBN number I found for Bob's book does not show up in any ISBN search database, so that is puzzling.
I don't see any page from an original copy of Bob's book to verify the number.
Anyone have an original book by Bob that can verify the number?
I have an original copy, autographed by Bob himself. It has no ISBN number, copyright 1997.

I have an original copy, autographed by Bob himself. It has no ISBN number, copyright 1997.
That is awesome.
I definitely don't want to run afowl of any copyright laws, and I have removed the link.

The copyright issue is a valid point, and I hope someone can definitively state what the status of the book's copyright is, so we can put it to rest.

Its really a good book in my opinion.

The copyrights to Bob's book were passed on to his son. Some of his engine designs were passed on to other folks who were supposed to continue making them available. I have a 4-cylinder casting set from one of them. I could probably find his name with some effort.

I have the 1997, rd. edition copy of the book, purchased from Bob Shores himself at NAMES (I believe). So far as I can tell, there is no ISBN number for it. No publisher either, so perhaps it was self-published.

There is a page stating:

"All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopy, recording or any information storage and retrieval system, without prior permission in writing from the publisher."

I'm not sure how that could be done if Bob self-published, but starting with the heirs would probably be the 1st step. The book does mention Bobs address and his wife's name, but I'll not divulge them here for privacy reasons. Anyone that wants that info to follow up can contact me privately.

The address would be 26 years old, but perhaps worth a try.

A surviving relative could be 92, if the same age as Bob.

Possible that they are still around.
It would be a long shot if they still live in the same house.

I purchased an original copy of his book, and can quote from that legally, so someone else will have to track this down.

It would not matter if Bob self-published the book or not, he would still own the copyright regardless of how he went about getting it printed.

Last edited:
Here's what I know. This information comes from conversations with Dirk Tollanaar and Paul Knapp.

When Bob passed away Margaret kept the book and all the engines that were "finished". The engine that weren't were given to Dirk Tollanaar. So the patterns for the Peewee V4 and the Pacifier V4 as well as a few experimental engines.

The Peewee was produced and I purchased a set and tried to build it. The drawings were not complete so I took what was in the drawings and came up with a set that if followed from scratch could produce a running engine. I gave the drawings to Dirk so he had good drawings to sell with his castings.

I talked Dirk into getting some casings for the Pacifier made. The deal was he would invest in the castings if I made him a drawing set. The castings were made and he sent me 2 sets and my buddy Bob a set. I designed and completed the engine. The drawings were sent to Dirk and the deal was completed. Shortly after that Dirk passed away and no other castings were ever made available.

The rights to the Peewee and the Pacifier now are in the hands of Dirks son Derek. It's unclear if any of the 2 will be available in the future.

When Margaret passed she left all the finished engines to Paul Knapp and the craftsmanship museum. He has the silver angel, little angel, silver bullet, Hercules, etc as well as prototype Bosch I4 and Peewee V4. Not sure but I think he also has the book. If you want to be sure you can contact the museum for clarification.

Attachments

• DSCN1471s.jpg
    DSCN1471s.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0058s.jpg
    IMG_0058s.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I sent the Craftsmanship Museum an email, and they are off for the holidays, but I am sure they will respond when they get back.

I would like to put Bob's book copyright issue to rest once and for all.

Great information.

Thanks much Steve.

Agreed, thanks for following up.
Yesterday I downloaded the third edition of the book mentioned.
Quite agreeable.
However, nowhere in this downloaded book there is any mentioning about copyrights.

From the last page:
Schermafbeelding 2023-12-21 om 15.50.05.png

Sadly, this forth edition neven appeared.

Have a nice day, F. van Dijk, the Netherlands

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2023-12-21 om 15.50.05.png
    Schermafbeelding 2023-12-21 om 15.50.05.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
Yesterday I downloaded the third edition of the book mentioned.
Quite agreeable.
However, nowhere in this downloaded book there is any mentioning about copyrights.

From the last page:
View attachment 152276
Sadly, this forth edition neven appeared.

Have a nice day, F. van Dijk, the Netherlands

My 3rd edition in hard copy and (I believe) purchased directly from Bob Shores definitely had the copyright notice that I quoted in Post #25. If your downloaded copy did not have this notice, then perhaps the original scanner intentionally skipped that page in the book.

Bob Shores was a great supporter of the hobby. Many years ago I saw an advertisement for his book in Live Steam magazine. I called him and asked how to get a copy. He told me that he would send me a copy and if I liked it, to send him a check. He said most people in this hobby were people he could trust.

Mike Nay

I sent the Craftsmanship Museum an email, and they are off for the holidays, but I am sure they will respond when they get back.

I would like to put Bob's book copyright issue to rest once and for all.

Great information.

Thanks much Steve.

How long does a copyright last?
The term of copyright for a particular work depends on several factors, including whether it has been published, and, if so, the date of first publication. As a general rule, for works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. For an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. For works first published prior to 1978, the term will vary depending on several factors. To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code). More information on the term of copyright can be found in Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright, and Circular 1, Copyright Basics.

Now for the big question was there even a copyright issued?

Here's what I know. This information comes from conversations with Dirk Tollanaar and Paul Knapp.

When Bob passed away Margaret kept the book and all the engines that were "finished". The engine that weren't were given to Dirk Tollanaar. So the patterns for the Peewee V4 and the Pacifier V4 as well as a few experimental engines.

The Peewee was produced and I purchased a set and tried to build it. The drawings were not complete so I took what was in the drawings and came up with a set that if followed from scratch could produce a running engine. I gave the drawings to Dirk so he had good drawings to sell with his castings.

I talked Dirk into getting some casings for the Pacifier made. The deal was he would invest in the castings if I made him a drawing set. The castings were made and he sent me 2 sets and my buddy Bob a set. I designed and completed the engine. The drawings were sent to Dirk and the deal was completed. Shortly after that Dirk passed away and no other castings were ever made available.

The rights to the Peewee and the Pacifier now are in the hands of Dirks son Derek. It's unclear if any of the 2 will be available in the future.

When Margaret passed she left all the finished engines to Paul Knapp and the craftsmanship museum. He has the silver angel, little angel, silver bullet, Hercules, etc as well as prototype Bosch I4 and Peewee V4. Not sure but I think he also has the book. If you want to be sure you can contact the museum for clarification.
I kept the Little Angel and it was given to Micheal Hammond, nephew ( Bob's grand son) aprrox 2 years ago, he slso has the Stove Pipe & others.

Latest posts

Back