Ignition Coil

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveRC

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone ever made there own coils...?

I am building an upspher single vertical, almost got all the bits together now and have a TIM-6c CDI system on it's way, what I am missing now is the coil. I have looked about and find them very expensive for the ones available. E-bay has some cheep 6v motorbike coil but I guess they are to big.

So, anyone ever made there own...? I have made some high-voltage transformers years ago and quite keen to give it a go.

Dave

There is a book available on building model ignition coils on the Bob Shores WEB site:

http://www.bobshores.com/home.html

Bob has passed away but his wife and family continue to sell the book. I have a copy of the book and if you don't mind working with very small wire the ignition coils are very doable. One of his coils uses 12,500 turns of #44 copper wire for the secondary.

Some folks also use motorcycle coils or lawn mower coils. I have a small hit n miss engine that uses a small motorcycle coil I picked up used at motorcycle repair shop a a number of years ago.

Chuck

Hi Dave,
You might have a look at this page. It's named Elsmore's Hit and Miss Engines. He has and ignition system layed out along with a snowmobile coil. I don't know how old the site is so I don't know what the current coil price would be but it's quite a bit cheaper than the model coils, just a little bigger.
http://hnm.110mb.com/i.html
gbritnell

Dave, have made coil winder, heated vaccum chamber. Made 3 or 4 coils. By the time you have made the equipment you could of built another hit n' miss engine or two. I didn't save any money making my own, takes a lot of time and the small magnet wire is hard to find and expensive. Putting on 10,000 turns or so of .002" wire with interleaving between layers for the secondary is the harder part. Bob Shore's book is the place to start if your interested.

Old small engines like weed eaters that had points in there ignition system will work. If you can find an old small engine repair shop that doesn't throw stuff away you might find something small and cheap. gary

Thanks for the info guys... I used to have access to a coil winder and vacuum chamber and stuff, but that was many years ago.

I had thought of using the lathe as a coil winder, 12,500 turns at 300 RPM would take over 40 mins to wind.... :eek:

Would still be nice to make, may look into it a bit more....

Dave

I am going to do some experimenting with a chinese motor scooter coil. it is very small but does use another coil as part of the sytstem. I have a chinese scooter so can take the coil out and try it. the cost on them is around $10/ John

HI don't no haw to post but i have a pdf file on haw to mack up your own coils and buzz box basically you get a old pick up coil say of a grass cuter you cut off the two outer picups their will be two weirs on the coil one will be insulated and the onter one will not the uninsulated one gos to grounded with the _ side of the battery the + side of the battery goes to a condenser then two one side of the contact points the insulated lead off the coil goes to the other side of the contact points hope this helps

Latest posts

Back