IC Cam grinding with a Quorn

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalmad

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi guys
Ive picked up an old Quorn recently that seems almost complete and in good condition and am thinking of setting it up as a IC Cam grinder.
I'm going to run the Cam between centres and possably a master cam behind the index wheel that runs on a bearing or rod of some kind.
Has anyone out there done this with a Quorn ?
Any ideas guys?
there are two holes on both castings between the main bar beds, maybe a bracket for a rod with a adjustable bearing to follow along as I go from lobe to lobe?
Or maybe a bracket that straddles the bar beds that holds a bearing which can be pushed down the bed.
What do u recon guys?
Pete
DSCN0254.jpg

DSCN0252.jpg

Hi Pete!
Nice score ont he quorn!

I assume your intending to make a copy grinder?

Dave

Hi Dave
I picked up a extensive workshop including lathe, mill, quorn, and much much more for very little money and once Ive squeezed it all into my shed, ill post a pic.
With the Cam grinder, I think ill just make a couple of centers, a master cam and maybe a bit of FMS coming of the setting arm to run the master on.
I have just realised, Ive been over thinking it, the adjustable follower for the master Cam need not be exactly in the same place to start on each lobe as I will be measuring it as I go :noidea:
Pete

Hi Pete!

Great score! Looking forward to pictures!

You'll need to clock each cam lob to the proper position with respect to each other, and you'll need to "gear" the cam and the master together for timing,,,,though I think a timing belt would work just fine.

1 to 1 master or larger?

Dave

The Quorn has a degree wheel on the end of the tool head, Dave and the Master will slip on behind it so that setting up the lobes should be a breeze with no belts of any kind.
Its very much in the the planing stage and at least for a start will drive the Cam blank/degree wheel/ Master Cam Assembly with a crank handle.
Pete

Latest posts

Back