Howell v-2 four stroke gas engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glaucoma and Cataract.

Good news. Eye pressure went down from 30----11. Whatever units of measurement?? Consultant says my eye is responding well to eye drop and operation not required. The eye drop would be forever to keep Glaucoma under control.

With the good news,I have gone back to work on the Howell V-2 but postings will have no fotos till I figure out what had happened during the recent reformat of Apple NoteBook with new software. Now in the final process of assembling the V-2 but there will some minor reworks and hand fitting. Will post fotos on Face Book.

I've been watching but not posting but now I have to post.

Great build, Gus!! You guys and your itty, bitty, parts!! Amazing.
Hang in there!

Pete

Gus: how do we see your face book pictures?
I am also building the V2 and I am also approaching the assembly and fitting stage. I am finding that some of the places where I tried to hold tight tolerances like in the gear case should have been opened up more. I have built the gears using a .5 mod gear cutter and so far it looks like it is going to work OK.

Glaucoma and Cataract.

Good news. Eye pressure went down from 30----11. Whatever units of measurement?? Consultant says my eye is responding well to eye drop and operation not required. The eye drop would be forever to keep Glaucoma under control.

Thm:Thm:

With the good news,I have gone back to work on the Howell V-2 but postings will have no fotos till I figure out what had happened during the recent reformat of Apple NoteBook with new software. Now in the final process of assembling the V-2 but there will some minor reworks and hand fitting. Will post fotos on Face Book.

Hi Gus under what name on Facebook

Cheers

Gus: how do we see your face book pictures?
I am also building the V2 and I am also approaching the assembly and fitting stage. I am finding that some of the places where I tried to hold tight tolerances like in the gear case should have been opened up more. I have built the gears using a .5 mod gear cutter and so far it looks like it is going to work OK.

Hi Gordon.

Jerry Howell must be chuckling away in his grave at us/amateurs trying to build his V-2. I like his advice-----V-2 is not meant for beginners.Best to say----'' Not for the faint-hearted.He spent many years refining V-2. I stayed Metric with the gears. Cutting one or two gears is OK with me but when it came to so many 48 Pitch gears,I messed trying to familiarise with the gear hob Paul Swift mailed to me.The DIY gears turned out just barely acceptable. I bough Model 0.5 and 0.6 Cutters as standby. V-2 has very tight tolerance. The Gear Case detail was very mind boggling and will only unfold when you have done 80--90% work. I made some forgivable errors and spent time reworking. Drilling the centre holes for the can shafts was tough and error will scrap Gear Case. Will begin posting on FaceBook soon.
The Glaucoma and operation did put me bit off but with latest good improvement results and no ops required but eye drops forever,I am now at ease. And Gus is not going blind.The Eye Centre had many latest Hi-tech eye test equipment.

Take Care. Christmas and New Year just around the corner.

Last edited:
Gus: I cut the gears to 48 DP dimensions using the.5 mod cutters. Seems to be working OK. I do not know why mod cutters are so much cheaper than dp cutters. The centers on the gear case were not a big problem for me. I have DRO on the mill. I should have opened up the gear cavities more to give more clearance on the gears. I find the drawings to be kind of confusing because you are getting information from 2 or 3 different sheets and the notes. i ended up making some CAD layouts with notes and dimensions my way. I modified my 5C spin indexer per:
http://oxtool.blogspot.com/2013/11/5c-spindexer-indexer.html
Works well for indexing the gears.

You and are similar. I am 75 years old and I have had two cornea transplants for Fuchs dystrophy and must use eye drops every day.

Gordon

At long last,found a roundabout way to post belated fotos.

Cam Shaft Oil Holes
Drilling deep 1.2mm holes is very stressful for Gus as he is hamfisted and gaff-prone. Was very cautious drilling first three shafts but come to the 4th, overconfidence killed me and shaft and had to make a replacement.Drilling the two side holes to lube the cam and tappets will be next.

IMG_4829.jpg

Oil Holes on the Cam Shafts

Had to make a drilling jig just to drill above safely and accurately. All 8---------1.2mm oil holes drilled with Drill Spindle Speed at max rpm. Best deal was to make jig to drill two shafts with same Lactated to prevent drift. All 8 holes done . Still trying to buy Dye-Kemp to no avail and had to stick to permanent markers which suffice for small jobs.

IMG_4835.jpg

Oil Holes on the Cam Bush.

After the cams were hardened and cleaned up, it was timely to drill thru to the bush. Spindle speed maxed and cam held and aligned in vice. Took the risk to drill w/o using the mini chuck. Peck drill 1.1mm hole with great care and came out alive. Clean up burrs with reamer and job done.:)

IMG_4830.jpg

Last edited:
Cam Hardening

Took risk doing same in broad daylight to dull red and got away with all 4 cams hardened to requirement. The qty of water is best to be ample to get good results. Note cams,burner torch on top of beer mug. Did file test to reconfirm hardness.

IMG_4833.jpg

Ignition Housing Assembly.

Easier done than said but small brass clips for the Halls Pickup Head was a bit small and dicy to make. The 1'' OD Clamping was hard to mark out the mounting holes and hard to resort to using the RT to pre drill.
Drilling The Flange
Drilling holes w/o ample clamping is unthinkable.Any goofs will mean an hour plus of making a new piece.Make do with quick clamps. A Finger Clamp is best for mini job pieces. The Hall's Pickup Device well provided for with mini clips. The BandSaw did well with the mini clips with minimal finishing. For a day or so, I was bit put away making these two mini size clips. Snipping off with shears will deform. Hand Sawing is tough and too much to clean up. Tried the bandsaw and it cut well and on track. V-2 has many of such mind boggling mini parts.

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_4838.jpg

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Last edited:
ignition Housing.
Turning above was simple. The material was easier to turn on lathe than expected. The angular positions of mounting slots for Hall's Pickup had me puzzled for a while. Made it a point to mill both slots to give snug fit. The DIY Rotary Table again came in handy. Had to make a simple jig to hold housing securely while milling the slots.

IMG_0015.jpg

Last edited:
Case Hardening Tappets

Ran short of drill steel and had to use mild steel and as such case hardening of wear surface required.
Butane Gas Torch is too slow and had to use Mapp Gas. Born Loser, heat up to dull red and dip into CaseHarden Compound twice. The small cup of tap water is only good for one quench. Did try to quench second piece and file test found same not as hard as the first piece.All 4 pcs were hardened to requirement.

IMG_0063.jpg

Cylinder/piston/con rod Sub assembly.

Had to do some minor rework. Jerry Howell's dimensions for the con-rod was bit tight. Encountered one con-rod colliding with cylinder bottom. Job done and both sub-assembly mounted and spun w/o obstruction. Work Bench is messy.will housekeep to spic and span tomorrow so that I can work w/o garbage distracting me.

IMG_0064.jpg

I am beginning to wonder if all of the hardening Jerry Howell is calling for is really necessary. If this engine is like the rest of the engines I have built I will never run it long enough to actually wear stuff out.

I am finding the drawings rather hard to follow. There is a lot of working with two or three sheets and the notes and it is sometimes hard to figure out what you are supposed to be doing and in what order. I am also finding it confusing when he calls for something to be some unusual dimension like .570 and then realizing later that being +/- .050 would not have made any difference. I am finding that some part that I thought was done actually required additional work as shown on another sheet. I may have had better luck had I actually built the parts in the sequence of the drawings (3-4-5...)instead of doing another part while I am waiting for material or another tool.

Gus or others: What is your plan on the ignition? He suggest using two separate ignitions. I have not given it much thought at this point.

Hi Gordon,

I followed his plans sht.40 and bought 2 DIY Ignition Kits from Jerry Howell.Com. Will drop by tomorrow the famous SIMLIM Electronic Complex to buy temperature control soldering iron to avoid frying the temperature sensitive transistors.Have not done electronics for last 55 years.
You are right,there are contradicting infos. I got into hot soup following his dimensions while doing the blind holes on the gear case. It was a long dark tunnel and at last I see daylight at the end. I gave up fretting and sort of go slow to enjoy making the parts from his endless lists. It took six scraps to make 2 good carbs. The rocker arms too. I did OK with the tappet valves.

Take Care. Bro.

Last edited:
Gus: I have assemble his ignition systems in the past and they are not that difficult to build. A bigger problem is that he calls for two coils and they are more expensive than the ignition module. I do have a coil with two outputs and I will have to look into using that. Electronics is not my greatest strength. Actually small precision machining is not my greatest strength. I spent my working life building special material handling equipment where for the most part +/- 1/8" was considered precision. My electronic experience is mostly industrial relay logic type circuits so transistors etc are foreign territory. Fortunately being retired fast completion is no longer important and spending half a day trying to figure out stuff from internet sites and youtube videos is not really a problem.

Hi Gordon.
We share some common grounds. I am not really a material handling man and I did not volunteer but found myself volunteered by the local GM to design and build two non-contact conveyor lines to send finished goods from my Compressor Assembly Plant to Warehouse. Was supposed to buy the flanged rollers from Interroll but ended doing same myself. Took four months working half day on the design from scratch. A good friend/sub=contractor did the controls for us. Was surprised there was very little hiccups from day one. Also design and build jib cranes and overhead cranes for in-house use. Followed with ''Wheelabrator''steel shot blast Cabinet and dust collector. Been fun.Calculating the motor hp for the conveyor line was fun. Boiled down to a very simple formula we learnt in our 1st year Engineering Science.

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back