Howell v-2 four stroke gas engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gus,

Where a lot of people go wrong is when using rechargeable nicad batteries, they are only rated at 1.2 volts each, so in fact you need 5 to make up a decent 6 volt pack, whereas a fully charged 6 volt gel cell should be giving out around 7.2 to 7.4 volts so giving you that extra oomph to your spark, plus they will have a much larger capacity giving you longer running times.

I used to use Tim 6 boards and found they did run OK on 4.8 volts.

Build is coming along great.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: gus
Hi John,

Thanks for the kind advice. As a teenage I built radios and HiFi Sets with success thru perseverance like spent the whole night to get it going. Coming to transistors and circuit boards,I got mixed results. Transistors are sensitive to high temperature soldering. For this round I took Jerry's advice and bought Soldering Station with temperature control.Spent the entire New Year Day soldering and wiring the circuit board. For once I think I got it right. The acid test comes on Monday,when I go for sparking spark Plugs. OK its weekend again and its fiiiissshhing. Life has been kind to me. My Glaucoma is responding to eye drops and no operation. Here in Singapore. We welcome 2016 with no terrorist incidence.Happy New Year .

Last edited:
Happy new year Gus, I can't wait to see a video of your engine running. I'm sure it will sound as good as it looks!

Reactions: gus
Final connections i.e Hall Effect Devices and Igniton Coils will be made just before start and run.
Ignition Box Lid hinged to protect Ignition from oil contamination. Decided to Formica Laminate to protect lid from my grimy hands. Come tomorrow with set valve and ignition timing. Spin engine to confirm lube oil flow and Spark Plug sparking. But I have yet to rig up fuel tank. Looks like start up tomorrow won't happen. No worry. I am going dead slow and enjoying the prepping.

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Had a great weekend fishing. Landed all in 4 Snappers. 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. All gave ferocious fights.Took 2 home for the boss. Boss will make Curry Fish on Friday. Why Friday??? Ask the boss. I am not the boss.

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

Where is Gus? I was expecting to hear the engine run any day now and its been a month since he posted a fishing photo. Did he decide to stay out fishing and give up building engines?

I sure hope he is well and just taking a long vacation.

Where is Gus? I was expecting to hear the engine run any day now and its been a month since he posted a fishing photo. Did he decide to stay out fishing and give up building engines?

When he said that he was going to only post his pictures on Facebook I signed up. He is presently doing what looks like a food tour of Nagasaki

Looks like his interests are fishing, machining and food.

When he said that he was going to only post his pictures on Facebook I signed up. He is presently doing what looks like a food tour of Nagasaki

Looks like his interests are fishing, machining and food.

Hi Gordon,

Gus back on the saddle and was trying hard to get started again.Just when I thought the lazy bones were extracted, some unhappy events happened.
1.Apple LT broken down and wasted my time reformatting.Bought ACER and
spent too much time with the Window 10.
2.Just when all was fine,road works began and right under my nose.

IMG_0501.jpg

Gus made a serious start to resume engine building. Gear cutting skills gone rusty. After a bad start with one 14t Module 0.5,successfully cut a pair of steel gears. Japanese Mild Steel cut well. Rigged up a poor man's DRO to get the 1 mm tooth depth but put stops to hold same depth. The Digital Readout can tell lies. Set depth to 1.0 mm but I had reading of 1.02.

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

Gus: I am building the same engine and I am a little behind you. I have most of the parts made and have started assembly with the usual minor fitting problems. I have not started on the ignition yet. I have the parts made for the carburetor but have not assembled them yet. I thought that I needed a little break so I decided to build a 4" turn table similar to the one you built. As usual as I completed something on the turntable I thought that there was a better way so I ended up making quite a few of the parts twice. I have a couple of minor maintenance and repair projects and then back to V2.

Gordon

I am happy to see you back- I was afraid you had decided fishing was more fun and had just moved out to your boat.

Welcome Back Gus.

Glad to see your posts again.

Hi ShopShoe,

Was tough tearing away from the many distractions and go back to serious engine building. Been working for last two days and productivity was bad.
The last 14 hole index plate did not work out well and I had to make another. The indexing pin was bit too loose. Module 0.5 x 14T pinion is tough cookie.

After a good break ,I am back. Jerry Howell's mini gear type lube oil pump require the patience and skill that I presently have not acquired. Cutting 1 off or 2 off spur gears is easy and simple but cutting Model 0.5 14T Mini Pinion Gears was another skill yet to be acquired using a mini Mill and DIY Dividing Head and DIY Indexing Plate.
W/O DRO drilling gear shaft holes to get gears to close mesh was tough.
At long last after some doubts and hesitation, the trial pump casing had gears closely meshed. The acid test would be------" will it self-prime and pump/deliver lube oil to the cams and cylinder walls and conrods. Foto shows the trial demonstration pump half done.Will post tooling when I move on to the pump casing.

IMG_1106.jpg

Hi Gus,

I have been watching your V2 build with interest as I have had the plans for this engine a while but never got around to starting it. The plans do not look too easy with all the small parts and the detail surrounding the timing gears and oil pump have so far put me off. So, I have just been following your build and looking at my set of plans to make some headway to understanding what is required.
Having said that, I made a small start this week-end with the V2 crankshaft and squaring off some 1 inch stock for the heads, but that is all I have done on this engine. I am not looking forward to fighting my way through all those gears though!
Well done on persevering with the build- and for supplying good pictures throughout - Kudos to you for that:)

Steve

Gus: I am building the same engine and I am a little behind you. I have most of the parts made and have started assembly with the usual minor fitting problems. I have not started on the ignition yet. I have the parts made for the carburetor but have not assembled them yet. I thought that I needed a little break so I decided to build a 4" turn table similar to the one you built. As usual as I completed something on the turntable I thought that there was a better way so I ended up making quite a few of the parts twice. I have a couple of minor maintenance and repair projects and then back to V2.

Gordon

Hi Gordon.

That was good news. Take our time because Jerry's dimensions are quite tight. Gus was not trained as a Tool-Maker which is an all rounder machinist and fitter and hence turned/milled bad parts. I made many mini parts two----four times. The mini parts are very deceiving and after doing the bigger parts , I rushed in like a bull in a China Shop and ended up with many rejects. The lube oil pump is one that demands
very high standard of drilling,reaming,counterboring and milling. All in I made 4 pumps before coming up with one which met Jerry's requirement. The 13 tooth pinion was impossible to source. Substituted with Model 0.5 x 14t. This was because I could buy Metric Gear Cutters easily and cost effective. Cutting the pinions was near disaster as such small pinions demanded some skill and esperience which I lacked. After 1/2 dozen double ended blanks, I came with some good results. I got overstressed and burnt out and was shying away from the mini machineshop. After three months rest and planning,went back to work on the oil pump now completed less ball bearings.

IMG_1207.jpg

Hi Gus,

I have been watching your V2 build with interest as I have had the plans for this engine a while but never got around to starting it. The plans do not look too easy with all the small parts and the detail surrounding the timing gears and oil pump have so far put me off. So, I have just been following your build and looking at my set of plans to make some headway to understanding what is required.
Having said that, I made a small start this week-end with the V2 crankshaft and squaring off some 1 inch stock for the heads, but that is all I have done on this engine. I am not looking forward to fighting my way through all those gears though!
Well done on persevering with the build- and for supplying good pictures throughout - Kudos to you for that:)

Steve

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the encouragement. I am back in the machineshop turning out the 2nd and 3rd oil pump. The 2nd was educational to check and confirm that the gear pump would self-prime and pump and it did well. The 3rd pump would have done well except I nicked the counterbore for the gear. However it did self-prime and deliver oil with 6 '' head. Had a hard time deciding to reject or make 4th pump which was done in 3 days and now assembled less ball bearings. Having come so far, stubborn Gus is not about to give up. The next post will show 4th pump WIP.

Hi Ron was back working on the Lube Oil Pump. As of today after the 4th pump,I got it self-priming and pumping oil. Its true I got burnt out.
The new gear case and new timing gears will be next.I messed up the gear case as Jerry Howell's drawings takes time to comprehend and work on.Made too many unforgivable mistakes on Gear Case. I got away with Module 0.5 Pinions for the oil pump. 48 Pitch Gear Cutters cost a big bomb compared to Metric Module Cutters.

Hi Ron was back working on the Lube Oil Pump. As of today after the 4th pump,I got it self-priming and pumping oil. Its true I got burnt out and need a good break. But came back with too many lazy bones.So took a while to my ass into gear.
The new gear case and new timing gears will be next.I messed up the gear case as Jerry Howell's drawings takes time to comprehend and work on.Made too many unforgivable mistakes on Gear Case. I got away with Module 0.5 Pinions for the oil pump. 48 Pitch Gear Cutters cost a big bomb compared to Metric Module Cutters.

Take care.

Latest posts

Back