Howell v-2 four stroke gas engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 2/10

Valve Lapping.

Had a very easy day lapping four valve and seats. Brian Rupnow taught us very well. Leaving behind a stub and finger hold to lap and cut off after completion. Used Fine Grit from the very familiar Made in UK, Chemico Valve Lapping Paste that came in fine and coarse grit. Finished up with 400# Grit.

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3795.jpg

Day 2 / 11

Crankcase Oil Passage
Drilling incline angle mini holes scares me especially if done wrong,it would very heartbreaking at this very last work input. Had no choice but trust Jerry Howell's proven drawings. This V-2 does require some DIY tooling. Had to make an adapter to give the M3 tap long reach to tap into bottom end. Had to hold down crankcase to drill and tap M2.5 hole. Free hand holding could lead to broken tap. Took 3 hours to plan and complete. Drill the 0.018'' Orifice into the Lube Oil Nozzle was made to easy and safe with the Sensitive Micro Drill Chuck. Broke too many micro drills before I come to know of such drill chuck.

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2/12

Cylinder Honing

Both cylinders I.D. were slight off mark. Had both honed to match at 1.004". N.B. Used Holtest Inside Micrometer to countercheck China Digital Caliper which read 1.005-----1.006''. Counter check with Starret Caliper and we match at 1.004''. Good lesson learnt. M.I.C. Caliper jaws do wear fast. Time to give away.
The Crankcase served as a very good fixture for cylinder honing.Makita Cordless drill with variable speed turned to be useful to drive brake hone which has shown some wear and should earmarked for disposal after having honed 6 cylinders todate.

IMG_3821.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, valve lapping and cylinder honing! Things I have done in the dim distant past when rebuilding an already very old Alfasud boxer four. I love your attention to detail and your patience - not sure I would take three hours to drill and tap one hole! But then I probably would have to put in another ten hours or more re-making the part, THEN spend three hours drilling and tapping the second time. Note to self: No need to rush ...

Loving your build so far, Gus! Thm:

Reactions: gus
Hi David,

I used to work at high speed,missed out dimensional details,fits,break taps etc and make unforgivable errors.Most not redeemable. Crying our a job piece and trying to salvage when a new piece would have taken less time. Jerry Howell's Drawings need to be thoroughly understood before plunging in. The Nemett-Lynx just managed to start and run a few times and after that It just won't start and run.These four running engines taught me well. All my two strokes won't start/run. With the Howell V-2, less machining errors were made. Its best when critical and unforgivable job is to allocate planty of time. Take lotsa tea/pea breaks.The last cut can kill a beautifully done job. :)

Hi David,

I used to work at high speed,missed out dimensional details,fits,break taps etc and make unforgivable errors.Most not redeemable. Crying our a job piece and trying to salvage when a new piece would have taken less time. Jerry Howell's Drawings need to be thoroughly understood before plunging in. The Nemett-Lynx just managed to start and run a few times and after that It just won't start and run.These four running engines taught me well. All my two strokes won't start/run. With the Howell V-2, less machining errors were made. Its best when critical and unforgivable job is to allocate planty of time. Take lotsa tea/pea breaks.The last cut can kill a beautifully done job. :)

I still live in that world Gus, but I'm learning.

Day 2/ 13 --------My Lucky Day. No rings damaged.
Piston Rings

DIY Tooling leftover from the Nemett-Lynx Engine dug out to split rings and heat treat. Born-Loser Gus made one more ring for contingency. Rings took 4 hours to turn,split and heat treat. Ring Gaps done at 6----8 thou.Our late Guru Malcom Steed advised in his write up,8 thou max not problem. With three pistons per piston plus oil lube hole,I have no worries.
Not a bad day with one piston half done but grooves cut. Next week will pistons and con-rod time.

Its week end again. Gus not building engines.Gone Fiiisssshhhhiiiing.

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

Looking great Gus, brings back memories of my making rings on the Nemmet Lynx. I will use the same method for the V4, but I will need 12 rings plus a few spares.

Over here, the rivers are now closed for spawning season, but plan to head to lakes in a week or two to try my luck, only problem is that the temperature is down to near zero Deg C overnight, so have to rug up for evening and early morning fishing.

Paul.

Looking great Gus, brings back memories of my making rings on the Nemmet Lynx. I will use the same method for the V4, but I will need 12 rings plus a few spares.

Over here, the rivers are now closed for spawning season, but plan to head to lakes in a week or two to try my luck, only problem is that the temperature is down to near zero Deg C overnight, so have to rug up for evening and early morning fishing.

Paul.

Fish count wise today not much but fun wise great. Fishy mate was surprised by a very light bite/tuck which became a 3 minute fight with bait caster screaming away even though it was a 5kg Leopard Ray which is known for great fight and good eating. Sour Curry Ray with plenty of Okra and Tomatoes and goes well with rice. Yummy. Take care. Keep warm. Taking another group tomorrow out fishing and they are a very pro-active group.

Day 2/ 14 15 16

Pistons

Too much distractions.Had to run an errand for the boss. Material supplier called and I had to pick up C.I. discs for the V-4 flywheels.
W/0 any hiccups the pistons were done. Took no chances with job holding. 1mm Oil holes were done with the mini chuck. Piston rings grooves done perfectly to fit Piston Rings. Slide fit.
Try out both cylinder fits with pistons. One cylinder is slightly bell mouthed with piston stuck in the middle. A rehone required. Suspect Brake Cylinder Hone is near life end. I have a brand new standby.

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3865.jpg

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3869.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2/ 16 17

Con-Rod

Took two nail biting days to cut con-rod. Again DIY fixtures required. However the one and only fixture served the big end and small end profiling and the milling steps on con-rod and the grooves. This con-rod just managed to scrape thru q.c. with the minor compromise. Bushes were done too with no scrap.
The remainding ''fork'' con-rod will be done next week.
Took a lunch break and con-rod bushed.

Its week-end fishing again.

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2/ 17

''Forked" Con -Rod.
The first con-rod took two days.With experience gained from first con-rod,this con-rod took only one day to complete. Somehow Tungsten Carbide End Mill cuts best and gives good surface finishing. Milling the bevels was made easier with Japanese Magnetic Protractor. Copycat Paul Swifty's button to mill big/small end.Results were good compared to the first rod.

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3969.jpg

IMG_3970.jpg

Day 2 / 18

Cylinder and piston sub-assembly.
Skipped fishing to assemble above which took entire morning. In the process, broke two rings.
With three piston rings each piston,sliding piston in and out cylinder was wee bitty tighter than the two ring design.

IMG_3976.jpg

Gus, it's not like you to skip fishing, you must be getting keen to get the engine finished. I won't be working on my V4 for a couple of days, it's my turn to go fishing with a friend.

Paul.

Gus, it's not like you to skip fishing, you must be getting keen to get the engine finished. I won't be working on my V4 for a couple of days, it's my turn to go fishing with a friend.

Paul.

Too much machining makes us dull. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.Must take time off and going fishiiiiiiinnngg.Please post catch.
Sunday was Neap Tide. Out going phase was hopeful we landed a 1.5kg Snapper and lost two line breakers. Left us gaping/gasping. This was no fish farm escapee. Gus's Snapper was a joke about 500g.
Mate and his fish. A medium Rod Bender.

IMG_3985.jpg

Hi Gus, no fish yet. Flyfishing at lake, currently 4 deg C. Will get a bit warmer during the day.

Paul.

I have fly-rod but the fly reel disappeared. Sometime later will fly over and watch Paul and mates flyfish. Must admit my casting is bad.

Day 2 / 19 & 20
Flywheel

The 4'' flywheel blank is another job that over-stretch the 80mm chuck and Mini Lathe. Was a straight forward job but machining Cast Iron is no fun,very dusty and dirty with Gus covered with C.I. powder.
Chamfering was done with parting tool. Done enough for the day.Will resume work tomorrow. Turning the taper will be tough. Testing my patience and skill. However done enough and goofed enough flywheels.

( I have a problem uploading fotos. SOS SOS)

IMG_3988.jpg

Last edited:
Back