Howell v-2 four stroke gas engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How close do you have to get with the sensor to get a reading?

Paul.

Really have no idea but project was posted sometime ago by a member and he seems happy. Gus will be happy if the accuracy is plus and minus 5 %.

I need a mini 24v battery to plug in to test it.

If it works well,plan to make one more for Paul.Will hand carry over to Mount Martha. I bought two kits.Was quite cheap compared to ''Shimpo'' or the UK made Tachos.

About to go fishing in 5 mins. Hope the bad water gone and good fishing .

P.S. Saturday was bad. Spot changes on Sunday produced 8 fish but lost three line breakers. 10 lb lines won't stop them.

Update.

DIY Tachometer.
Done and tested today.

IMG_3500.jpg

Last edited:
DIY Tachometer.

Counterchecked fine print on the circuit board. Its DC8-----24v. Plug to a 9v battery and Tacho lights up.
Bit more work to do. Have to shorten probe cable. Put on flush mount on/off switch.

Micro Drill Chuck

Best to make box to hold above and the hard to see and find mini/micro drills. My mitre corner jointing is improving and routing too so as to sink-in flush mount top and bottom of box. The mitre joints for the Taccho Box had to be reworked. Further improvement made on mitre jig did away with the necessity to use disc sander.Looks like the sewing machine motor is about laid off.
Quite happy with the layout. Will put lid clasp and hinges. Gus is ham-fisted when it comes to fixing and aligning mini hinges.Will have to design and DIY a drilling jig.

I am still on the Howell-V-2 Project but doing some related work to counter burnt-out. Been sleeping well w/o having to thinking of next job piece to tackle. Fishing wise. Saturday was bad but Sunday fishing was good though we had three line breakers/snaggers.

IMG_3522.jpg

Last edited:
Gus
were did you get your sensitive drill attachement from

cheers

Luc

Hi Luc,

From ArcEuroTrade.co.uk. 20 odd sterling pounds. LMS cost double. Been eyeing this micro chuck for a long time. Using conventional methods and skills 30 thou is about smallest I can get to. To get straight on to locate adaptor and chuck,please see following.
p/no. Desriptn
040-015-00400 Micro drill adaptor JTO 1/2'' shank
040-010--00100 Key type chuck.

I saw it being used in YouTube but have not get to drill the 20 thou orifice.

I will check out those micro drills as well, trying to drill very small holes using a Bridgeport size mill is looking for trouble.

Paul.

I will check out those micro drills as well, trying to drill very small holes using a Bridgeport size mill is looking for trouble.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Went into YouTube to check out how to drill 10-----20 thou orifice. All posters were using Sensitive Feed Chuck. Top drill press speed required.
ArcEuroTrade took a week to arrive by post to arrive.

Wooden Case for same drill chuck.
Now figuring out how to do a perfect job to fit on hinges. Alternative would be go on to piano hinge.

Will use plain shoe polish to coat box to prevent grime from sticking on.

About to be fully rested and recovered from ''burnt-out'' . Howell V-2 resumes next Monday 18 May. Excited with the flat four but will read entire serial publication before deciding. Its a big job. Four pistons,four con-rods,four sets of valves etc etc may require us to think and work smart.

Take Care.

Carpentry.

Hinges

At long last,I have eliminated bad alignment,dancing hinges,creaking hinges, and unsightly gaps between lid and case. HMEM Engineers are so good with precision milling.turning, drilling adn tapping but I wonder how many of us treat door/lid hinges with due respect and attention.
Relying on eye ball and gimlet to help fasten hinges wood screws is bad news. Had to make a jig to drill all 8 holes for the hinges. Result was very good. Jig took 20 mins to mark out,centre pop and drill.
Eve rsince I started off as a young kid fitting hinges,the job quality was never good.

IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

Completion of DIY Tachometer.

Done.completed and tested but yet to stick on magnet to a rotating disc w/o shooting Gus in the face.
Polarity of magnet is mandatory. Reversed magnet to get reading.
Probe came with a 24'' long cable.Hand to cut to suit. Crimping on mini cable lugs was another lesson and skill to pick up. Messed up 10 pcs before getting three good crimps. Never,never & ever do it night. At my age i can't see too well at night.
The yellow crimping pliers works best over the high tech blue partner.
When DIY Tacho is tested for reliability and performance ,Gus will make one for Paul Swift as we did some horse trading. He posted over a 48 PD Hob for me to cut the timing gears.

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Gus, in years gone by, I made press tools for contacts like that, they were a real pain in the neck. Eventually everything came from overseas.

Paul.

Gus I made the exhaust manifolds 3 times in fact I've made a lot of parts more than once the fin space dimension in the drawing is only for that face the other faces are eighty thou not 85 .I dropped my pcv valve body dented the small diameter another bin job great job and info

Hi Paul,
We sort of squared off. Did 9 to get 4 good Rocker Arms. Did 5 Carbs to get two good Carbs. Did 12 Clevis(es) to 8 . 8 Jet Needles to get 4 good needles. Good reason why I got burnt-out.
I am now enjoying myself making Instrument Cases for Micro Drill Chuck and Tachometer. Mitre Corner Joints improved. For the first I got Lacquer Coating done to 60% satisfaction. Doubt I will remove the slight blemish,bearing in mind it is for show and sooner or later gets scratch.
At the end oof the day,we sort of enjoy looking at a job done well. When we meet, we must play by ear without too much shop talk at lunch.Mrs Swift may not enjoy our shop talk.Ha Ha . So much engines to talk about.
Take care. Its 34 today and very humid. Am taking it easy. We have 3---4 weeks of dry spell.

Hi Gus, in years gone by, I made press tools for contacts like that, they were a real pain in the neck. Eventually everything came from overseas.

Paul.

I did have a very hard trying to crimp these cable end lugs. While doing the crimping, I could only imagine the toolmakers did have a tough time making the transfer die.This mini lugs are so minute. Cost me peanuts per piece. PRC China ToolMakers are pretty fast at making such tools.
With their cheap labour,they are killing us.

My wife Barb (Barbara) soon gets bored with too much shop talk, plenty of other things to talk about over lunch, prepare for a long day when we meet.

Those complicated press tools are easier to make these days, wire cutters do all the complicated work, when I was making them we had to grind all the punches and dies ourselves, fitted together like a jig saw puzzle.

Paul.

My wife Barb (Barbara) soon gets bored with too much shop talk, plenty of other things to talk about over lunch, prepare for a long day when we meet.

Those complicated press tools are easier to make these days, wire cutters do all the complicated work, when I was making them we had to grind all the punches and dies ourselves, fitted together like a jig saw puzzle.

Paul.

OK Shop talk in your machineshop. We have plenty of notes,histiory and gaffs to trade. Will play by ear chatting with Barbara. She will be the M.C.!!!!
Your Tachometer is done and tested. Please PM postal address. Will send over by Speed Mail. This time I did better at crimping those hard to see cable end lugs. All three pcs done w/o scraps.

IMG_3550.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2/ 1 & 2

Exhaust Manifolds

With battery fully charged after a three week break and a four day holiday trip to Penang,Malayia with my darling boss-----Nellie.
The first piece took 5 hours to mill with one broken 2mm end mill which you put too much force feeding.Was lucky to have a spare after much scrounging thru the Tool Cabinet Drawers,

Did better on the day 2 ,completing the manifold in three hours. The last 1 1/2 hour was milling the 2 mm slots and 1mm fins. You can't rush the milling. BandSaw and Starrett Height Gage came in handy to mark out the cooling fins. 2mm grooves and 1mm thick fins.W/o precise marking,the fins will look very odd looking. BandSaw helped to cut near to marked lines so as to minimise time skimming odd aluminum.

There is a slight goof.The exhaust vent port has fins.:hDe:

At long last,all the mini parts done and fitted on and I can now work downwards. The Crankshaft bearing cover is next. From here onwards,its all work done on the lathe.

IMG_3655.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking work Gus! It's coming along nicely.
gbritnell

Reactions: gus
Day 2/ 3 & 4

Crankshaft Bearing Housing.
Two minor goofs happened yesterday but both forgivable with slight re-engineering.
The Makita BandSaw sure saved Gus plenty of energy.The 2 1/2 '' Aluminum Bar stock took 12 mins to bandsaw and if manual hacksawn ,would have teken 2 hours.
Boring holes to take the ball bearings was done with a Warner Boring Bar. Both done with bearings to light drive fit. However for insurance,would put in some high strength LockTite.
Goofs
Goof 1.
Was so engrossed with getting the spigot to 2.124'' O. D.,I had the front and rear bearing mixed up. Outer end bearing is same as crankshaft end. Will have to buy another 1621Z Bearing.
Boring the other end,required housing to be zeroed. This is the first time after 54 years since 1961 in Trade School.Was surprised I got it to perfect zero with MIC Dial and Magnetic Stand.
Goof 2.
Mounting flange OD. is slightly small then as drawn. Shouldn't be a problem with compromise but will require more fasteners.

Getting hot and humid. Will resume work tomorrow doing the mounting holes. Not a good idea when the heat is distracting me. Done to much and will be sad to ruin housing with broken tap.

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back