Howell v-2 four stroke gas engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been following this thread for a while and recently started work on my v twin.
I took the advice of Ernie , a member in So. Florida to start with the most difficult part first, the gear case and its components
I would recommend this to any one starting this project.
I look forward to reading Gus's progress and all others working on the v twin
This helps me as I slowly progress with mine.
After being retired and 70 years old I have many years in the trade but this is my first engine .
Thanks to all the mambers on this v twin thread for sharing your experiences.
Eventually I hope to add some photos of my progress.
Dale.

Reactions: gus
Hi Dale.

Coincidently Gus is 72 and can only work for three hours in the morning with plenty of tea/pee breaks.The afternoon gets to hot and humid and not very conducive to work. Before taking the last two/three cuts,best to go for a break. The gear case cover bearing bore was supposed to have a snug fit but coming to close to fit in with last cut, the Darling Boss called and after putting the phone,the last cut was the death cut and I spent another two hours to turn an adapter bush.Jerry's pitch circles are quite tight and precision center popping and spot on drilling required. I had another near disaster but redeemable today.
Looking forward for another good day tomorrow.:)

Last edited:
I'm glad the 'oopsie' is redeemable, Gus. Looking forward to the next instalment.

At last I see light at the far end of the tunnel. Had to reward myself with a mockup/ trial assembly But I still have 2 months minimum to go before completion of the Howell V-2 Engine.
The Gear Case for now is empty and waiting for 12 spur gears for the timing train.
Very happy with engine sitting in one corner of the PC Desk.
Six months of sweat and pain forgotten and now looking at the trial assembly.

IMG_4127.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great Gus!
gbritnell

Nice - that beauty needs a good coat of looking over every day for a while!

Might work on the Ignition Timing Housing. Again Jerry made it look simple but one must study this print carefully over and over at least ten times. Housing is made of Delrin which I have no experience turning.

Hi Paul, Your expert advice is sought.Please advise how to turn Delrin.

IMG_4130.jpg

Hi Gus.
Turning Delrin is no problem but you need a" RAZOR-SHARP"Thm: tool.

BTW nice work on the V-Twin.
CS

Hi Gus, yes, what crankshafter said, a nice sharp tool but stone a small radius on the point. Positive rake on the top as well. I turned a part for the V4 water pump from delrin, as specified, but near the finish it decided to break, it's hard and nice to turn but can be brittle.

Paul.

Good job Gus, nice looking engine

One day I might build this engine swell, I have had the pans for a few years

Will be good to see it running

Michael

Hi Mike,

Looking forward to build your inline engine too. My machine tools will be over stretched again. Taking some friends on board to fish tomorrow. Not very sure will get good bites with Neap Tide Current. You have a great week end.

After a nice holiday in Central Thailand and a good rest. I started work again .However there was some procrastination for a couple of days and out of boredom from doing nothing absolutely.
Had planned to minor retrofit the mini DIY D.Head to proceed milling the timing gears using the master gears that came in from SPDI and only to discover they were too small to use as direct index. So no choice called a friend to do and print out drawing with 32/16/21/13 holes to DIY index plate. Pin point center popping and drilling is a must. Job done and the indexing pin will be done tomorrow.

IMG_4294.jpg

IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4296.jpg

Last edited:
Indexing Pin done. Quite happy with the spring loaded pin which engaged the index holes positively. Design came from Harold Hall but I reversed it to suit. Gear cutting would be next. Paul Swift gave me a gear hob. My gear cutting skill gone rusty and I expect some goofs.Will have a dry run and practice cuts. Tomorrow will the last day of shop time as I am taking my darling boss to Fukuoka, Japan to celebrate our 44 th anniversary. Time flies. Engine building is keeping me young, body,mind and soul.

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

Last edited:
Gus---You never cease to amaze me with your innovative solutions to problems. I am still watching your build, and you are doing a great job.----Brian

Fantastic work on the dividing plates Gus. It just show what can be done with a little 'nouse' as the English say. Looking forward to the progress on your engine once you are back from honeymoon (your 44th honeymoon). :)

Fantastic work on the dividing plates Gus. It just show what can be done with a little 'nouse' as the English say. Looking forward to the progress on your engine once you are back from honeymoon (your 44th honeymoon). :)

Hi David,

Best to travel while we both can. Japan never cease to amaze me. The Japanese folks I meet on the street are very nice and civic minded.

Still trying to accept the bad dreams,decisions,visions the past Japanese leaders had leading to near total destruction of their beautiful Japan. The countryside is so beautiful. Most of their forest is still intact. Stream and river fishing good. Deep Sea fishing good. Never never ever step into the fishing tackle shop. One can spend $300 and come out with a handful. Ha Ha

Will be snooping around the ''TokyuHands'' Store to look for quality Chinese tools made for Japan solely and cost a bit more but very good tools.

That's looking great Gus, my machines are to small for this engine, maybe later when I get larger machines and my skills have improved, your doing a fine job, gear cutting is also on my to learn list!!!

Dave

G'day Gus - I have just spent two hours reading your Howell V2 forum from cover to cover. I am mightily impressed with your skills and ingenuity particularly in light of the equipment you have at hand. That little engine is looking fantastic and I am sure it will be running as sweet as a Swiss sewing machine in no time at all.
You mentioned you may have a go at the Edwards Radial and from what I have seen here you could manage it no problems at all.
Since finishing my Edwards Radial I have just about Googled myself into insanity trying to decide on my next engine but the Howell V2 is on my short list as is the Little Demon V8 but as yet have not made a final decision (to much
procrastination).

Cheers - keep up the good work and great fishing.

Last edited:
G'day Gus - I have just spent two hours reading your Howell V2 forum from cover to cover. I am mightily impressed with your skills and ingenuity particularly in light of the equipment you have at hand. That little engine is looking fantastic and I am sure it will be running as sweet as a Swiss sewing machine in no time at all.
You mentioned you may have a go at the Edwards Radial and from what I have seen here you could manage it no problems at all.
Since finishing my Edwards Radial I have just about Googled myself into insanity trying to decide on my next engine but the Howell V2 is on my short list as is the Little Demon V8 but as yet have not made a final decision (to much
procrastination).

Cheers - keep up the good work and great fishing.

Hi Brian-in-oz,

Been looking around for radials to built too and found a three cylinder radial running in YouTube. After a good holiday in Southern Thailand and doing nothing for a week,I have too many lazy bones to remove. Fishing been good and bad. The Good Lord sent a 5 kilo Grouper swimming topsy turvy towards my boat last Sunday. See fish

IMG_4454.jpg

Holy smokes Gus that fish is almost as big as you! :eek: I think the last time I had grouper was about a 4 oz (113g) piece in a local Indian restaurant. The curry was great but cost me around $30.00. Your fish with a little rice and some peas is worth a small fortune in these parts.

I like the simplicity of your dividing head. I have all my patterns finished for the Whippet now so as soon as I’m done with the pour (hopefully this coming weekend) getting my head around gear cutting is next on my list.

Keep up the good work and the great fish. Thm:

Latest posts

Back