Horizontal Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perfect! Zero on all sides.

Cyli.jpg

Right on.

Cylj.jpg

Center drilling holes that are all located from back right corner and screw stop. Machine dials are used for positioning. Drill rod will keep drilled hole from shrinking bore. Because the part is concentric it can be shifted when doing opposite holes. So every two holes only need handles turned once. Cover is already made using same setup.

Cylk.jpg

Laying out second set of holes. Gage blocks are used to set height gage. Layout is just being used to indicate holes are going into the right place.

Cyll.jpg

I use a tapping block for all my threaded holes.

Cylm.jpg

I am very concerned about this operation. I am end milling a break through slot to the counter bore. The mirror is so I can see how my cut is progressing in the counter bore.

Cyln.jpg

Complete cylinder and start of covers.

Cylo.jpg

Turning down the stock to about .082 in order to make 2-56 threaded rod. I hold the stock very short with about 1/2 inch sticking out of the collet. Second cut is made on about 2 inches of stock being supported by the brass piece in the drill chuck.It has a hole about the same as the diameter I am turning. I can continue this way till I get the length of one screw.

Dra.jpg

Start of threading with a 2-56 die. The machine is off and I am spinning the spindle by hand.

Drb.jpg

I now support the first end with the brass jig in the drill chuck. when I reach my length I spin the die off. I then add a couple of nuts to the thread and snip it off.

Drc.jpg

Threads clean up by running one nut full length and a little wire brushing.

Drd.jpg

This is just part of a large number of special tool bits I have ground through the years. The one on the right has been custom ground for the grooves in the piston.

Pisa.jpg

Brass stock has been turned to a close fit in the cylinder bore.

Pisb.jpg

Cutting the grooves for the piston rings. I am using the print dimensions. The lathe micrometer stop is being used for spacing.

Pisc.jpg

Piston being cut off with a parting tool. I have already drilled and tapped an end hole to receive the piston rod.

Pisd.jpg

Made to print.

Pisg.jpg

Thanks Jack. ;D I just added another tool project for Christmas time. Something to place and hold a mirror. It seems I'm forever moving around...easy enough with the mill...there's no wall behind it...but still.

Hi Carl: That is one of those dentist type mirrors. It's the type of tool you have in the box for those times you really need it. I was very nervous about where those holes were going to break through. I think I am OK according to the print. Jack

Drilling the two cylinder covers. Turning was just straight forward but drilling and tapping is more involved.The center of the cylinder was picked up by an edge finder. Center drill is placed in chuck. Cylinder will be used for a drill jig to center drill the both covers.

Cova.jpg

Position of this first hole is achieved by trigonometry.

Covb.jpg

All through holes in the covers will be done on the Buffalo drill press.

Covc.jpg

The hole for the tap is being drilled in the cylinder.

Covd.jpg

A removable locating pin is use to position remaining holes in the covers for center drilling.

Cove.jpg

Now all holes are spotted and drilled in the covers. Then the tap drill holes are made in the cylinders and tapped. There are four extra holes in each cover so nuts and studs can be placed for aesthetics.

Covf.jpg

Starting to assemble parts.

Mostas.jpg

Final assembly . I wanted it to look somewhat different then the rest so I made hub caps from some hexagon gift brass. I extended the intake piping so I would not have a piece of flexible hose stuck up in the middle of the engine. This is my first engine and I had a lot of fun making it. This was also quite an experience posting the different operations on this site. My wife Claire helped me with the toy and the posting. My young Grand Daughter Katie got her first experience working in a machine shop by helping me size and install the studs. My son Steve made the videos with his digital camera. Thank you all. Make sure you look at both my videos I think you will enjoy them. Jack

Enst.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EW7Ump_aek[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz959DN7pI8[/ame]

WOW! That's super nice!

Congratulations on your success! :bow:

I'm being a little humerus by saying that the anvil base sure is a dandy!

Seriously, something similar made of aluminum would add a lot of visually interest.

-MB

Compliments Jack! It runs really nice!
Compliments to Mrs. Jack too, for the nifty zotrope!

Mb, Dean and Carl Thank You very much for your kind words. No one was more supprised then me when it run so good. Now the presure is off I will take some time to view the sites and see what my fellow machinist are doing. Jack

Hi kvom: The anvil kinder got there by accident. I was balancing the base between two angle plates while I was working on it. Then I spotted the anvil on my bench and said to myself that will make a nice base. So it just stayed there. Jack

JAck,

Very Nice :bow: :bow: I really like the anvil base.

Best Regards
Bob

I like the anvil base too...unique but fitting as well. Very nice engine too.

Regards
Bill

Latest posts

Back