Horizontal Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi marv COSMETIC all the words spelled OK and I missed the last one.
Thanks for pointing it out. Putting these post on is almost as much fun as cutting the metal Jack

Cosmetic.. That's funny, Jack. Darn spell checker doesn't know if I mean there, their, then, than, tough, though, thought, or thorough. And that's just the "T's"..

The job on the fly wheel is coming along nice. Nice pictures too.
I'm working off the same prints, and I know what you mean when you say you have to figure it out for yourself. Rudy just cut the spokes with a saw and filed them. He probably didn't own an RT or divider at the time. I drew the thing out so I could find out where the C/L of the spokes were in relation to the spoke radius origin.

Dean

Dean I have been putting the prints on the scanner and blowing them up. Here is what they looked like when I got through using them. Jack
Whprint.jpg

The top right sheet in your photo is exactly how I started, Jack. By the time I got done I had quite a bit of chicken scratching! Similar to your bottom two sheets. We might do it different, but we still do it the same, if you know what I mean.
:)

Dean

Getting the table back on center.
Teda.jpg

First inside segment cut out. Just starting second one.
Tedb.jpg

Looks like the machining is complete.
Tedc.jpg

Finished with the wheels.
Tedf.jpg

Looking good,
. Those are some fine looking fly wheels.

Ron

I made this crankshaft which was very easy to do but I changed my mind and will cut one out of solid stock. This one would need silver soldering to finish.
Cra.jpg

The two base parts are next. They are just straight forward milling, drilling and tapping. I made these a few weeks ago but I had a computer crash and lost some of my pictures. Some years ago I went to a machine shop auction to buy a Bridgeport type milling vise for my Index V.M. While there, I got talking with a former employee. He recommended I buy this vise with the long homemade jaws. He said it was the handiest set of jaws he ever worked with. I have had them for some years now and agree. He also put me wise to a skid of stock they were selling. It was ends but all top of the line. That's where 95% of my stock came from.
crb.jpg

This gage block set will appear in some of my pictures. I bought it at a flea market for about $10 years ago. Almost every bock has imbedded rust on part of it. I just rubbed them gently with a smooth file and the only rust marks now is where it sunk in. The left over rust does not affect the measuring at all. Because they are hardened the file slid right over them. They are really handy for setting my height gage. The two aluminum base pieces are on the cover.
Crc.jpg

Here is my setup for laying out. That Brown & Sharpe #585 Height Gage cost $5 at a yard sale. I made a scriber for it from a tool bit. The surface plate is just a flat piece of steel stock. I am drawing hole locations on one of the base pieces.
Crd.jpg
Milling a slot. I have a zero point location for the end mill from the solid jaw and my adjustable stop in the right rear of the vise. I used an edge finder to pick it up. All my dimensions come from the right rear corner of the work.
Cre.jpg
Drilling the holes. I spot them with a center drill first and follow up with the correct drill. I changed all the dimensions on the print to three place decimals. Other parts will be connected to them and I want good fits.
Crf.jpg

Hey! It's starting to look like a steam engine. I just propped the crank up with a couple of blocks. I had a little box of bronze bearings and they will be perfect when cut to length.
Crg.jpg

ozzie46 said:
Looking good,
. Those are some fine looking fly wheels.

Ron
Thank You Ron. I think they will turn out to be the most difficult parts to make. Jack

Beautiful flywheels Jack.
Why did you change your mind about the crankshaft?

Jack
Excellent work with the curved spokes. Having done a couple, I know just how mind bending that challenge felt when I began. Now that I've done a couple, it all makes sense and the challenge isn't quite so daunting. The will add a lot to the engine.

Interesting to see the different technique employed by Rudy.

Best
Steve

zeeprogrammer said:
Beautiful flywheels Jack.
Why did you change your mind about the crankshaft?
Hi Carl: I didn't feel like I did much machining just making a couple of holes and adding some drill rod. I knew how to make a crank shaft with offset center holes so that is what I will do. I never had much luck soldering things. I think it will be fun turning a crankshaft and that's why we do these things. We enjoy a great hobby. Jack

Hi Steve: Thank you for the encouragement. Jack

Trimming the crank shaft stock to reduce milling.
Shb.jpg

Milling to size.
Shc.jpg
I am milling the slot to get rid of excessive stock at the center journal.
Shd.jpg

There are two center holes on each end of work. One set for the center journal and one set for the out board shafts. Light cuts makes this work go easy.
She.jpg

Set up to turn out board shafts. Lock in center prevents flexing and spring.
Shf.jpg
Cutting Key ways in the finished solid crank shaft. I want to be able to remove my wheels easy so I am using keys to drive them. This approach is different then the drawing.
Shh.jpg

I placed a round piece of scrap stock in the wheel hole and locked it in the milling vise. This will keep the center drill from walking and give me a starting half hole in the wheel hub.
Shi.jpg
Drilling the key way hole.
Shj.jpg
Finished key way in wheel hub.
Shk.jpg
Spacer for crank shaft opposite the eccentric side.
Shp.jpg
Jack

Jack,

Great job on the flywheels. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob. I am having a great time making this project. Jack

Latest posts

Back