Homemade DRO...maybe...sort of...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,

Thanks for the kind words.

You may want to Google for 64 bit DOS emulators. Given the amount of DOS code that was written, there must be somebody out there addressing the problem.

mklotz said:
You may want to Google for 64 bit DOS emulators. Given the amount of DOS code that was written, there must be somebody out there addressing the problem.

I'll be interested too. I've done some searching but haven't found anything yet. I'll try asking at work too...lots of gamers there.

Thanks for the tip bentprop!

Blogs...thanks. I had a similar solution but you saved me a hole. I was going to mount the caliper with two screws....one should be sufficient.

Small update...

Got the collar bored and fitted to the quill of the tailstock with a 6-32 to tighten it.

That's when I realized (and Blogs was trying to tell me) that a small rotation in the quill translates to larger and larger distances as you move away from center. Hee.

Well...we'll keep going and see what's up. It can always be redone.

Pics will be coming. But without an M&M, DEAN!, there'll be no help with scale.

Okay...I have some 'rubbish' to post.

Simple project for most...lot's of fun for some...

Took a piece of 3/8 x 1 1/2 x something and cut about 1 3/4 off. Squared it up and milled it down to 1/4. Then drilled and bored it to fit the tailstock's quill.

IMG_4525.jpg

Drilled for a 6-32 thread from the bottom and tapped it far enough to get well past the center of the hole. Then milled from the other end and drilled for clearance to just past center of the hole. Then hacksawed the split.

IMG_4526.jpg

Then milled the top notch for the scale, drilled and tapped the hole for the clamp. Got a piece of steel (that crummy 1018) of 1/8 by 1/2 and milled to 1/8 by 1/4. Drilled a hole. Milled off about .02 from the side so I'd have a little fulcrum on the end.

IMG_4527.jpg

For now I just double-stick taped the caliper down to see how things would go. I still have to mount it properly. In thinking about what Blogs said...I may be able to make a clamp that fits around the back of the tailstock and holds the caliper down. I wouldn't have to drill anything into the tailstock then.

Here's a short vid...

Dean..."rubbish is and rubbish does". :big:

No...I have no idea what that means.

Hey Zee,
It was great to see your face in the video. Now I know what you look like. Rof} Rof}

Cheers
Phil

Y'know, Zeep... Looking at that first picture... a block of aluminum, with a hole in it...

zeeprogrammer said:

Did you ever imagine, ten months ago, that you'd ever make anything so complex? ;D

Nice work. Keep it up.

Thanks Phil.

Now see Vernon. This is why you're still on 'the list'. ;D

But yeah...10 months ago...it would have been a

hacksaw,
a hand drill,
a drill bit,
and some unknown bit of metal.

But now! This took:

6061 T6 Aluminum,
a bandsaw,
some cutting oil,
a mill,
a vise,
a lathe,
a 4-jaw chuck,
parallel bars,
an edge finder,
a boring bar,
a center drill,
a drill bit,
a center punch,
calipers,
height gauge,
surface block,
collets,
end mills,
drill chuck,
tailstock,
QCTP,
a square,
boring bar holder,
deburrer,

And for what? A hole?!
What have you people done to me?! :big:

Gee Zee... What part of a locomotive is that???

Shhesh... All that stuff to make one part? All you need is:

hacksaw,
a hand drill,
a drill bit

:D

Rof} Rof}

Gosh darn it. I'm taking my marbles and going home. :big:
Hey...who stole my marbles?

zeeprogrammer said:
Gosh darn it. I'm taking my marbles and going home. :big:
Hey...who stole my marbles?

Ah ha! A ball-turning attachment is in someone's future. ;D

Vernon said:
Ah ha! A ball-turning attachment is in someone's future. ;D

coffee -> everywhere.

Damn you Vernon! You owe me a roll of paper towels!:rant:

Found a dos emulator for my Vista 64 and was able to run one of Marv's programs.

www.dosbox.com

Now...can it run DOOM?

[EDIT: It does but I don't have sound. No matter. This game wasted a significant amount of my life. I don't want to get hooked again.]

[EDIT: It helps to turn the speakers on. :wall: ]

Zee you have not played Doom until you've run it on an SGI Indigo 2 with Maximum Impact graphics under IRIX.

Vernon... Are you going to make me wait for my paper towels as long as you've made Zee wait for his beer?

DOOM, what a great game. Along with Quake and not to forget Wolfenstein.

Holy cow. And here I am holding onto every last penny so I can afford to move...

Head -> Desk. Repeat.

I just ordered 2 of them. Looks my mill might have a DRO in its near future!

Chuck

Back