Homemade DRO...maybe...sort of...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops, I CORRECTED my first post up above where I said the LED has a long lead for the neg. side.

I use LED's all the time for indicators to let me see the circuits working in the different stages. I don't know how I gave the wrong anser.... :eek:

The neg. term. of an LED has a SHORTER lead, and a flat on the lens to denote the cathode.

hobby said:
I guess that means your not going to go into business building these and selling them to the rest of us in this group.

You are correct sir.

hobby said:
This is the freindliest forum out there.
Everybody is really nice, and helpful,

You are, once again, correct sir. :big:

Troutsqueezer said:
Many people think that electricity is electrons flowing at the speed of light but electrons actually flow quite slowly, at speeds on the order of centimeters per minute.

mklotz said:
Another way to think about it is to imagine the wire as a hose filled with tightly packed BBs (the electrons). If I push more BBs into one end of the hose, BBs will fall out of the other end at the same rate as they are pushed in. All the BBs move, but not nearly as fast as the input BBs *appear* to arrive at the output end of the hose.

And not in an orderly manner. They're bouncing around, back and forth. Not an orderly movement. Like a bunch of drunks trying to get out of a bar...

Vielen Dank Marcel...I didn't know 'TAKT' meant clock. Your link took me on an interesting trip.

hobby...yeah that's what I remember...at least for the T1-3/4 package...the smaller ones don't have flats...and it was the flats I used to key the position.

So...

Not a lot of progress...got the boards wired up. Programmed a processor for some basic tests.

Connected a wall wart. The good news is that nothing smoked. 5V on the parts that are supposed to have 5V...1.5V on the parts that are supposed to have 1.5V.

But nothing else. No lights. No equivalent "Hello World". Might be time to borrow a scope from work.

Some bit of good news...I came across a bunch of stand-offs I had. I'll probably mount the board to a sheet of something and use a piece of plexi for the front...just mask it off so I can see the display but hide the fantastic wiring job I did. ;D

About here is where you say..."Humph...is that all?"

It's been slow...too much going on...but I've made some progress...

A little tip of the hat to the forum...and a special message to that fellow we all know about...

Hope you enjoy...

Next up...connecting to a digital caliper and reading it....

Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof}

Great video as usual! Always encouraging to see the lights come on. Congrats!! Thm:

Now I don't understand ??? Are you building a DRO or is it a RSS monitor? :-[

Thanks Rick.

Noitoen...no way...sounds too much like work. But on that note...using alpha was just for fun and test...from here out it should be digits only...unless I need to give that one a guy another poke.

Robert! You've been more active lately. Is it getting warmer? Or has the house gotten colder so the workshop relatively warmer? ;D

zeeprogrammer said:
Robert! You've been more active lately. Is it getting warmer? Or has the house gotten colder so the workshop relatively warmer? ;D

House colder, knew I needed to cut more wood but this "Hobby" was much more fun.

Keep trying to convince the Bride to let me use the spare room as a shop, something about her hands on hips, tapping foot and raised eyebrow responce that I should just avoid pushing further :)

zeeprogrammer said:
It's been slow...too much going on...but I've made some progress...
Next up...connecting to a digital caliper and reading it....

Sorry to see you're having so much trouble with it! That looks like a serious malfunction.
Good luck. ;D

Oh. Sound quality that poor? Monitor too dirty? Check your speakers and clean the screen. But here...maybe this will help in case that 'fellow' has the same problem...

bEEr!
PAy UP
U rAt!

Allow me to translate...

BEER! PAY UP. YOU RAT!

If he still has questions he can reach me at 555-8728

And if you're wondering...

2nd letter of first 8
3rd letter of 7
1st letter of 2
1st letter of last 8

And no, it's not IVTE...look at your phone. ;D

Just translating from the way my daughter sends me emails from her portable phone.
(She's way too old to be typing like that).
This is it, right;

"You are a T" ?

What kinda "T". Mr. T?

I'm sure this is some kind of secret message and I'm going to get a prize of some sort.
Right, Zee?

Ehh. I toldja 'letroniks confused me...

Naed

Oh! gr8 vid, btw, lol.

Mike, I don't think I want to know what the last few capital letters there mean.
My daughter never sent me anything like that!

DW

Twmaster said:
ROTFL LOLAPIMP!

There ya go Dean....

I put LOLAPIMP into BING and it only came back with 2 links, and neither was a solution.

sigh...

TUV PQRS ABS TUV
8 7 2 8
2nd 3rd 1st 1st

"u rat"

I'm starting to think there's more than one.

And yeah...I have to admit I had to google LOLAPIMP myself. I couldn't bring myself to ask my kids...I couldn't take the chance I'd be embarrassed. I do enough of that here. ;D...and at work...and in public...rats.

Latest posts

Back