Hit me - Miss me?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after speed reading for 2 hours I've just about covered this thread, Maryak 10, and Mrs Maryak's new Mansion :eek: ............. blimey Bob that's only the last 4 months .............. all I've achieved in my spare time over that period is to cut the lawn 3 or 4 times, wash the car once and go on holiday for a couple of weeks .............. I feel like a serial under achiever :(

But ............... it's been a blast Bob, wonderful work, very enjoyable and great tips ........ please keep up the good work ;D

and all the best to you and Mrs M 8)

CC

CC,

Thanks as always for your support and kind remarks. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

A New Week - :eek:

Progressed the bearing housings to the welding stage but discretion being the better part of valour I opted to leave the actual welding till next time.

Bearing housing on the tapered mandrel. If your curious the taper is around 0.001"/inch of mandrel. Just a light tap on the compound slide after loosening off the locking studs.

IMG_0790.jpg

Sizing for total width.

IMG_0791.jpg

1 finished housing.

IMG_0792.jpg

2 finished housings.

IMG_0793.jpg

Test set up for bearing housing, (crankshaft by implication), to cylinder alignment.

IMG_0794.jpg

And so endeth another day.

Best Regards
bob

Nice going Bob :bow:

I'm curious about mounting the bearing blocks on the mandrel - do you slightly loosen the cap screws, then push the block up the mandrel to where it gets "tight" and then tighten the cap screws to lock it in place ?

Kind Regards, Arnold

arnoldb said:
I'm curious about mounting the bearing blocks on the mandrel - do you slightly loosen the cap screws, then push the block up the mandrel to where it gets "tight" and then tighten the cap screws to lock it in place ?

Arnold,

Thanks for the continued support. :bow:

In a word no. ;) The bore stays as is, (locked up tight), and the whole thing is tapped home using a 1/2 lb hammer and a brass dolly. You soon know if your heavy handed as the housing spins on the mandrel. In this case, maximum facing cut 0.015," maximum longitudinal cut 0.020." Ask me how I know. ::) It's also a good idea to start with hand feed IMHO until the preceding is determined.

Edit - If you loosen the bearings you lose concentricity and the fancy round bits on one end will not be round when you take it off the mandrel and re-tighten.

Best Regards
Bob

Didn't know those parts got welded! :eek:....hope they don't move around much.

Dave

Maryak said:
Arnold,

Thanks for the continued support. :bow:

In a word no. ;) The bore stays as is, (locked up tight), and the whole thing is tapped home using a 1/2 lb hammer and a brass dolly. You soon know if your heavy handed as the housing spins on the mandrel. In this case, maximum facing cut 0.015," maximum longitudinal cut 0.020." Ask me how I know. ::) It's also a good idea to start with hand feed IMHO until the preceding is determined.

Edit - If you loosen the bearings you lose concentricity and the fancy round bits on one end will not be round when you take it off the mandrel and re-tighten.

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks Bob ! :)

Rob,

Thanks for your continued support. :bow:

steamer said:
Didn't know those parts got welded! :eek:....hope they don't move around much.

Dave,

Thanks for your continued interest. :bow:

I hope so too. I will mill a flat on the brass and use it as a clamp whilst I weld them.

Arnold,

Your very welcome.

Best Regards
Bob

Managed to get the bearings welded - well sort of ;D

The set up and clamping of the lower halves for welding.

IMG_0795.jpg

One of the welds. Plenty of bling needed. :eek: :eek:

IMG_0796.jpg

Checking for web clearance on the crank.

IMG_0797.jpg

Temporary bearings fitted to determine sizing for the final bearings which will be collared into the housings.

IMG_0798.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Bob, what sort of welder are you using, stick or MIG ............. I'm no expert at all, the little I've done over the years has been 95% self taught ...... in my (very) limited experience over about 3mm thick (1/8") I'd prefer stick.

Then again it might be TIG in which case .............. I'm outa here ................ ;)

CC

Diymania and CC,

Thanks for your continued support. :bow: :bow:

As I no longer have access to oxy/acetylene I have had to use a 240V stick welder. I can't seem to get on with mig, (by the time I've got it all working correctly, I could have done an hour's work with sticks), and have never used tig.

After our not so good experience with a 240V plasma cutter, my associate is now talking about a small oxy set. I can only hope. ::)

Such short welds are not a stick welders strong suit IMHO.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob, in my very limited experience using electric metal glue welding I would prefer a stick welder with the sections you are working with, penetration is far superior (technical term chaps ::) ) ........ with MIG I find I get an awful lot of build up but naff all penetration ............ OK ........
OffTopic.gif
I know, perhaps best if I start a new thread so experienced folk can tell me what I'm doing wrong :D

Great thread, though I think I've lost the plot regarding the bearings, ............. I'll go back and read it all again and see if the brain cell kicks in ;)

atb

CC

Hi Bob, looking great
For arc welding small parts i use a 1.6 mm rods they are shorter and allot more controlable, some preheat may be needed on the larger part.
Regards Rob

CrewCab said:
Bob, in my very limited experience using electric metal glue welding I would prefer a stick welder with the sections you are working with, penetration is far superior (technical term chaps ::) ) ........ with MIG I find I get an awful lot of build up but naff all penetration ............ OK ........
OffTopic.gif
I know, perhaps best if I start a new thread so experienced folk can tell me what I'm doing wrong :D

Great thread, though I think I've lost the plot regarding the bearings, ............. I'll go back and read it all again and see if the brain cell kicks in ;)

atb

CC

Hi CC allot of people fine it hard to set up a MIG , as it can be set up three ways spray transfer, dip transfer and the wrong way. every machine is differant and it takes a bit of practice to set up.
Then there is the correct gas for the job in hand

Regards Rob

CC and Rob,

Thanks for the support and advice. :bow: :bow:

My welder is very basic and has only 2 amperage settings 2.5 and 3.2 mm. Because of this I have stayed away from 1.6 mm rods as I feel there would be too many amps.

Yep, penetration is very important and I agree with you mig is more out than in. ::)

The bearings are bronze located in the housings which are welded to the base/frame.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob

You could probably still get away with the 1.6mm rods on the 2.5 mm setting, the only caveat is that you may only be able to use the first half of the rod as the excess heat in the rod tends to bake the flux coating on the last half of the rod leading to problems.

MIG is really not that hard to set up, the transfer mode is largely a function of the welding amps so with a general purpose 200A welder you don't have a huge choice, the mode is dictated by the current. After that it's essentially just a matter of the welding voltage and wire speed being set. Practice, as ever, makes perfect but it really ain't that difficult.

If you need a hand at any stage just yell out, I have MIG, Arc & Oxy and 30+ years of welding behind me and am just up in the hills.

Rgds - Gavin

Really looking good Bob.
Your techniques are quite different from mine in many cases, so I have learned a lot from your threads.
Gail in NM,USA

RobWilson said:
Hi CC allot of people fine it hard to set up a MIG , as it can be set up three ways spray transfer, dip transfer and the wrong way.

no doubt I've been using option 3 then ::) .............. to be fair I've only done a little welding over the years and it'll be mainly inexperience, once I get the bug again I'll shout up for a little advice if I may Rob ......... thanks in anticipation ;)

CC

CrewCab said:
no doubt I've been using option 3 then ::) .............. to be fair I've only done a little welding over the years and it'll be mainly inexperience, once I get the bug again I'll shout up for a little advice if I may Rob ......... thanks in anticipation ;)

CC

Hi CC if your ever up North , The True North :big: :hDe: your more than welcome , i have used gas and arc from being an apprentice , when we finally go a MIG at work setup three was the most used one ;D
Regards Rob

Back