Hit me - Miss me?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RobWilson said:
The True North :big: :hDe:

:eek: ;) ;D ........... the cheek of it, I'm about an inch south in the AA road atlas :big: ;D :big:

but, Maryak ........ sincere apologies for straying off topic (but it was Rob's fault really) ............ ;) ............ back to the main event 8)

CC

gjn said:
If you need a hand at any stage just yell out, I have MIG, Arc & Oxy and 30+ years of welding behind me and am just up in the hills.

Thanks Gavin :bow: I will try the 1.6 rods and only use 1/2.

GailInNM said:
Really looking good Bob.
Your techniques are quite different from mine in many cases, so I have learned a lot from your threads.

Gail, I am sure I have learned a lot from you too - Thanks :bow:

Rob and CC,

Thanks for all the welding info. :bow: As a born in Lancashire lad I do have some idea of the "True North"

Perhaps we should have a sub forum on welding. ??? ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
As a born in Lancashire lad I do have some idea of the "True North"

Sorry Bob, your true roots had momentarily escaped me ::) .............. anyway, do you still have "Hot-Pot" on Monday's :D ;)

CC

CC,

Thanks :bow: Hot Pot I have not had since my mum passed on and I can't say it was one of my favourite dishes. :eek:

After a 2 day break, one with tanks and the other with our new house, ( fences, driveway and front lanscaping, not me - it's part of our contract), I managed to get a very little done this morning, Tanks again. Ah well it's all grist for the mill. :D ;)

The start of bling on the base/ housings using Devcon as the filler.

IMG_0800.jpg

Flywheel #1 marked out ready for hacking up.

IMG_0799.jpg

Enjoy your weekend.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi All,

Getting a bit ahead of myself here but reading my "Idiots Guide" to good hitting and missing I came across the drawing and instructions for making the cam. The suggested way of going about it was IMHO hit and miss. As designed it is also offset with one half of the lobe having a slightly different profile to the other................. so a lot of help from turbocad and a bit of patience resulted in a series of offsets for milling the cam using a rotary table.

HMCam.jpg

Now all I hope I have to hope for is the concentration powers to be able to make 181 successful cuts as per the spread sheet.

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Now all I hope I have to hope for is the concentration powers to be able to make 181 successful cuts as per the spread sheet.

Best Regards
Bob

Good luck, I hope it all works first time.

Bob, nice job on the bling so far. And I'm sure you'll have the concentration to mill that cam profile; you already had it to make the milling offset list! :bow:

Regards, Arnold

tmuir and Arnold,

Thanks guys for your kind words and encouragement. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Bob,

I don't know how fine you made your spreadsheet, but every 5 degrees works well. I then hardened the cam and polished the little "flats" with a diamond file. Came out fine.

Dave

Your build is coming along well, Bob. Watching and reading, and waiting for the next "episode".
Thanks for sharing so much of your shop work.

Dean

Dave and Dean,

Thanks for your support and encouragement. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

One more week- gimme just one more week ::)

I had heaps of pi$$ing about fun getting my power hacksaw to accept lumps bigger than its' design parameters but after drilling more holes in the base to relocate the fixed jaw - problem solvered, (Oz joke about paint).

Flywheel 1 in the 4 jaw and the OD part roughed out.

IMG_0808.jpg

Making a start on the recessed section.

IMG_0809.jpg

That's probably it for a few days as I'm off for a Keratoacanthoma removal from my leg tomorrow and it's grown so fast I will need a skin graft. That will put me on my back for a few days until the graft takes.

If you take nothing else from this forum - DON'T GO OUT IN THE SUN WITHOUT PROTECTION, this is the 6th beasty I have had removed and it's mostly due to my time as a deckky on a prawn trawler when I was a lad and bullet proof.

Best Regards
Bob

OUCH Bob hope your leg gets better soon,sounds bad,
Regards Rob

Bob I hope that you solve your problems soon, stay well and rocky my friend

Get well soon Bob!....

and point taken.......

Dave

Best wishes for a quick recovery Bob.

Kind regards, Arnold

Quick recovery Bob, That is why I swear long sleeve shirts even when temps reach 100 and above farenheit. I got way to much sun when younger. Bullet proof ya know. :big: :big:

Ron

Great progress on the engine!

sorry to hear about the pending graft :(

Get well soon.

Good luck Bob, I'm "off in" tomorrow as well to have a "stent / angioplast" in my leg, not a major procedure but I'll be glad when it's over :( ............. anyway take care, looking forward to more progress ;)

CC

Bob;

You had me googling for "Keratoacanthoma". Hope all goes well, use the recoup time for planning your next project!! We eagerly await it's posting.

CC - best wishes to you too.

Looking forward to using all this guidance when building my first hit & miss.

Cheers
Garry

Latest posts

Back