Hi from Northumberland

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernieNUFC

Reaction score
Time to make a start and say Hi, writing is not one of my fortes as i love to hang around and read and read and read again.
I very rarely post on forums because my depth of knowledge is limited to basics and i would hate to send someone down a wrong path so i am more quiet than vocal.
So that said, working up in the cool north east of UK and messing with models at a very low level most of my life i thought it was time to have a project which i actually tried not to rush for once, in other words a couple of years instead of a couple of weeks.

My intention is to try to make a semi scale American RV in 1/6th scale. I want to do everything wherever possible from start to finish and learn as much as i can in all the subjects required using the years to build it.
I did a small amount of CAD some 20 years ago but never 3D, so i spent the previous couple of months immersed in Inventor (i have a family member who lets me use his copy when not at work). I have started from blank and so far have a front axles assembly with wheels rims etc and the chassis drawn up, half way through a rear axle before i moved on a bit.
I was a mechanic in the forces so do a small bit of metal and woodwork, for my wood work i use vCarve pro which i purchased recently with my HighZ cnc router. I used this to make stuff for fund-raising for a greyhound charity and was all good experience.
So now i have my drawings which i converted into stl and imported into vcarve and then cut them out in high density molding wood.
I want to learn to cast in aluminuim for the axle and hubs so i have them now ready for the mold. I have never done casting (maybe once at school) so this is a new subject to learn as well, i have watched hours and hours of myfordboy and mrpeter so i purchased a small electric furnace to get me started into this area, i am just waitinf for the sand to arrive now.
I have at my disposal a fairly good workshop including a SX3 mill which i intend in the futre to convert to CNC, i have access to a clarke lathe.
I just started to learn about arduino to so i can get my rotary head on the mill automated. I also have a small 3d printer which we struggle to get working right, but sometimes the prints are ok and maybe i can use this for something along the way.

I am am craming in as much as i can whilst a i can, i have recently had a stroke and a heart attack and not even 60 so i want to enjoy it whilst i can.
So as this is all new i felt i need to at least do things in the correct order and correct way so now hopefully i can post my queries and not make as may mistakes as i have done recently, mostly measuring errors :)
Cheers Malc

oops just realised this is 'engine machinist' sorry about that, i will continue to follow but join more appropriate forum.Malc

Latest posts

Back