Hi from BR, Florida

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brian13b

Reaction score
Im new to the forum. Looking to learn!! Im mainly interested in steam, steam locomotive. I graduated Watchmaking school in Dec, but my passion is "Machining" you could say. Now with a job, it equals Income$$$. I plan to purchase a Mill and a lathe.

Thinking of the Grizzly G0704 Mill and a Southbend type lathe. Any help would be much help. thx b

Welcome Brian: From the southwest side of Florida. Roger

Hi Brian,
Welcome to the forum. I have the G0704 Grizzly mill and it is a good bench top mill. Grizzly is a good company to work through any issues and I think you'll find it a capable machine. It is a relatively small bench mill at 250 lb but definitely a good starter machine unless your models start to increase in size. The weight is an advantage when you've just spent a few hours making a part and it rolls under the machine, out of sight and reach :rant:

The x-y working envelope is larger than some machines twice its size but the z axis is a limitation.

Good luck in your new hobby and have fun

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks Phil for the pros and cons.... I still havent jumped on getting one yet, Im building my savings first...which is slow and steady.... But I'm 90% im getting it....

Welcome Brian: From the southwest side of Florida. Roger

Roger,
Nice, the West side.....Im on the East and 'people' are not the same as they are back home.... My wife and I, went to Naples shortly after we moved here and the people are so much friendlier.... thanks for the post..

Welcome to the forum. wEc1

I think grizzly aren't bad but I would equally look for a good used machine. A worn out mill is only good for a shop to restore (or scrap as the case may be) while a grizzly might not be the best shouldn't give any major trouble and get the job done. Assuming your not doing super precise work.

But if you can find a tight American machine then that's the way to go. :cool:

John.

Brian: I'm in Naples. If you think your going to be headed in this direction let me know , I'll put on a pot of coffee. Roger

Latest posts

Back