Here we go - another EZ engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dinkum

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post but I have been lurking around for about a month now. I found this site whilst doing a search for info about flamelickers - I found the thread about that excellent poppin' build by NickG.

I am really really new at machining :-[ , and I have a 1976 tawainese lathe and a probably even older belt driven milling machine. (And a drill press).

Anyway, after browsing this place carefully I have decided to have a go at building the EZ Engine - it seems to have been designed with me in mind. ;) So here's the start of my build thread.

I've noticed that you all want pictures (any excuse will do) so I'll post a couple below showing my machines and EZ materials.

Cheers,
Dinkum

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

Dinkum,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Please put a location in your profile, (well continent anyway), so we know what companies etc. to recommend for all the bits and pieces you suddenly find you can't live without.

If you think smoking is addictive, wait till you get going with this hobby. :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Dinkum....and yes!! pictures are always good :big:

Regards,
Bill

Maryak said:
Dinkum,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Please put a location in your profile, (well continent anyway), so we know what companies etc. to recommend for all the bits and pieces you suddenly find you can't live without.

If you think smoking is addictive, wait till you get going with this hobby. :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

That is hilarious...when I'm standing out in my shop at 10pm and my fingers are so flipping cold I can barely turn a dial...I know that I have a problem.

Chris

Hi All,

Thanks for the greetings.

Maryak said:

Gee, I thought that tooling was expensive enough... :(

I have made the valve body and the base (sort of). The hunk of unmachined aluminium in the picture will be my cylinder body this time- fingers crossed. ::)

I don't have any reamers (yet) and I don't have a four jaw chuck either. So how can I smooth the inside of the valve (and cylinder) body out please? And also, how necessary is it? (pic below) I have just drilled it with a 6mm bit.

Also, when I do the flywheel, can I still use the method of machining it described in the howto with only a dead center?

Cheers,
Dinkum

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

IMAG0131.jpg

Here's my valve - attemp #4 ::)

Also, I asked about drilled hole smoothness without reamers in my last post but my question was answered in a note in the EZ build doc - you can drill and hone rather than drill and ream. I am not quite sure exactly how to hone a 6mm hole though?

And how's this for Murphy's law: I went and made my valve body and asked on here about reamers, then today my retired toolmaker friend came 'round and guess what he brought with him - of all things - a 6mm reamer and drill set. Not a full reamer set, just a 6mm one. :Doh:

valve (2) compressed.jpg

Hooray! It runs. woohoo1 woohoo1 woohoo1

I still need to make some bushes and permanent "conrods" but at least I know it runs. I will post a video of the final result when it is polished up. Any tips for a newbie on polishing? Also, I tried machining the flywheel with a dead centre but it just bored out the aluminium where the centre presses against it.

Many thanks to the team here that produced the EZ engine and also the excellent metric CAD drawings.

running prototype.jpg

running prototype 2.jpg

Congratulations Dinkum!

Enjoy your new addiction.

For the flat parts you can tape down some wet-dry sand paper to a flat surface and rub the parts back and forth on it, figure 8's, circles etc and work your way through progressively finer grits until you don't see any marks. Then use a rag and your favorite polishing compound like brasso or the like.

Have fun!

Latest posts

Back