Henry Ford Plumbing Parts Engine - Running!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Be patient... it takes me a little while to get it running on its own. Fuel mixture is very touchy and the engine has to be warmed up. Got a bit of tuning to do, but it does run on its own... for a while! :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE9saAeksvE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE9saAeksvE[/ame]

Chuck

Congratulations Chuck! :bow:

You got her running good, and what a great sound!

Like you said, maybe just a little fine tuning and your done.

-MB

Yipee!
It seems to run very well once it got warmed up just a touch. I know you want to do some refining to the build, but really, it went great!

Frankly, I'm surprised the BBQ igniter lasted for the entirety of the run here. If you think about it, how many times would it get used in it's normal use? 500 times, maybe a thousand? It might just have gone past its design life in the first minute or two of the run. Or maybe I'm full of it.

Really good to see this run, Chuck! Interesting, unique, fun. All the good adjectives apply.

Dean

Congratulations Chuck.
Beautiful runner! :bow:

Rick

Chuck,

Fantastic job sir. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Just brilliant Chuck, you know it runs now so it's just a matter of fine tuning! Great project!

NIck

Great video...great sound. Thanks for posting it.
Struggling to say more...it's just great.

Nice Job, I will have to make one of these some day.

IronHorse

Awesome job Chuck!

That's really cool.

What a great job... :noidea: Congrats to you Chuck :bow: :bow:

Regards

Philly

Congrats, Chuck.

This one was fun to follow along. It sure sounds neat.

Joe

Thanks, guys, for the words of encouragement. I've since removed the defunct piezo electric igniter and installed a set of ignition points. I installed the points to run off the crankshaft rather than the camshaft to simplify things and also to provide separate timing for the exhaust valve and ignition. The plug will fire twice as often, but that shouldn't hurt anything. I'm also waiting for a small ignition coil that I bought on Ebay and I may have to scrounge up a battery depending on how much voltage the ignition coil wants. I'll pobably mount all the extra ignition bits under the main board that the metal engine parts sit on.

Stay tuned.

Chuck

Congratulations Chuck :bow: ;D :D

Maybe someday i can make one that will look that good, but to run?

Great! I like it... Thm:

Now, what's next?

Bill C.

GOOFY063 said:
Congratulations Chuck :bow: ;D :D

Maybe someday i can make one that will look that good, but to run?

Thanks, you should consider the compressed air version. I actually like the way it looks and sounds better than the IC version. It's also simpler to build.

BillC. said:
Great! I like it... Thm:

Now, what's next?

Bill C.

Well, I'm not quite finished with it yet. Hope to get it running a lot better and better sound. But, I'm also resurrecting my Opposed 4 compressed air engine as a next poject.

Chuck

Carburetors are tricky in these small sizes. That is the most frustrating part of getting a new engine running. But, not enough to do away with fuel, spark plugs, burnt fingers and dead batteries.....well, in rethinking a bit.....compressed air does sound appealing at that!

Bill C.

Latest posts

Back