Help in setting up ceramic burner.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwood

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My first post here.

just discovered this site, which must be one of the best on the net for all things to do with model engines. I am an Englishman living in France, so there isnt much here in the way of clubs or like minded modellers. This forum will hopefully provide an answer to my problem.
I have built a Stuart 10H, a Stuart S50, a small twin cylinder wobbler, a Stuart Oilfield pump, a 3 1/2" vertical boiler, a 5" gauge Sweet Pea, a 5"gauge class 20 battery loco, a 5" gauge class 8 shunter ( battery ), a 5"gauge passenger truck and have the castings for the stuart beam engine.

The 3 1/2 vertical boiler didnt steam very well with the spirit burner ( 3 wick ) that I made. I saw the plans on here for SandyC 3" ceramic burner, which I downloaded and built. Now I want to make use of a 15kg bottle of butane that is surplus to requirements, to power the burner. The regulator on the bottle gives an output pressure of 28mbar, which I think is about 0.4 psi. I have seen other posts on here which quote gas pressures of 5, 10 or even 15psi. My regulator obviously wont allow these pressures, and so the ceramic burner with a no. 8 jet really doesnt chuck out enough heat to do anything usefull.
So my question is :- Could I make a new jet with a much bigger hole to suit the reduced pressure that I have available, and if so, what size hole would it need to work properly, or is this just not possible.

John

Back