Stuart boiler HB4 with noisy ceramic burner.

Help Support HMEM:

Mechanicboy

Reaction score
Hi folks!

When i lit the ceramic burner it burn a nice red glowing ceramic and burn silent. When the burner are in the furnace, there is problem where noise came from burner after some minutes silent burning. There is hot exhaust from chimney with silent burning, after some minutes suddenly it came noise from burner and a bit smoke from chimney + weak hot. Is it common problem in Stuart boiler HB4 with ceramic burner without secondar air?

The jet is number 8 who followed with the set of boiler/burner.

Rudy

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Mecanicboy
I recognize this phenomena from my propane terrace heater. After a while it started to make noise like a ram jet, but still burning behind the ceramic element. This was caused by false air leaking in behind the ceramic element, making the mixture wrong. This leads me to believe when you put the burner into the furnace the mixture becomes to rich because of less surrounding air. I would try to open up the holes where the air enters the burner just in front of the jet. If i'm wrong, try to make them smaller.
Another thing maybe worth trying, lift the furnace a few mm from the base so there will be moe air flow to the burner.
I'm actually in the process of making a boiler my selves and have bought some of that ceramic stuff to make a burner, so i'm right behind you!
Rudy

Mechanicboy

Reaction score
Thanks you for reply.. I has created the burner who are noiseless. :) Works very well. The burner is Primus 2,6 kiloWatt camping burner.
IMG_20200214_173347.jpg
IMG_20200214_173426.jpg

Last edited:

Steve_n

Reaction score
Hi folks!

When i lit the ceramic burner it burn a nice red glowing ceramic and burn silent. When the burner are in the furnace, there is problem where noise came from burner after some minutes silent burning. There is hot exhaust from chimney with silent burning, after some minutes suddenly it came noise from burner and a bit smoke from chimney + weak hot. Is it common problem in Stuart boiler HB4 with ceramic burner without secondar air?

The jet is number 8 who followed with the set of boiler/burner.

Steve_n

Reaction score
It should be a blue color. Move your jet in or out of the tube to adjust the air mixture. (Loosen screw and slide the jet-tube assembly)

Mechanicboy

Reaction score
It should be a blue color. Move your jet in or out of the tube to adjust the air mixture. (Loosen screw and slide the jet-tube assembly)
I has received e-mail from Stuart steam:

If the burner is working correctly you should hear a gentle roar from the boiler, you can get various noises depending on how the jet is set up.
Here's how to get the correct burner set up.
Place the burner in the boiler, Start with the jet holder fully pushed into burner, turn the gas on fully and light the gas at the chimney, you should get a flame out of the chimney, then slowly lift the jet holder up from its bottom position in very small increments, fractions of a millimetre at a time, it will get to a point where the flame will disappear inside the chimney and you will hear a slight roar from the boiler, It can be quite quiet so don’t think the flame has got out, by carefully placing your hand above the chimney, without burning yourself you will be able to feel the heat still rising from the chimney, This will be just about the optimum position for the burner, If you go to far you will hear a war war sound, at this point if you push the jet holder down very slightly again this will be the right place for the burner. As the pressure in the gas cylinder decreases you may need to adjust the jet further.

But in fact i can't like the noise from burner due it's so awful to hear. Impossible to see flame while the burner is mounted on boiler since there is not secondary air in the burner. I designed own burner who are noiseless :)

Rudy

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Is it the Primus burner you referring to ar the noiseless burner Mechanicboy?
In my case I'm just about finished with my Stuart 10V steam plant and the only thing missing is actually the burner, and it shall be a quiet one indeed.
I'm currently planing to make an adjustable spirit burner. I have a "Stuart 504 style" horisontal boiler, so a Primus circular burner is maybe not all that suitable.
Rudy

Rudy

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Jens Erik. I have actually thought of using a gas burner and already bought a ceramic terrace heater to get hold on the ceramic, so I'll give it a shot and try making one. I absolutely like the idea of using gas. Clean and simple. If I fail I can always buy one or make that spirit burner.
Rudy

master53yoda

Reaction score
my background is combustion. It sounds like the gas is no longer burning on the face of the ceramic, infrared or ceramic burners are designed for secondary air they do not draw enough primary for complete combustion, once you have burned up the secondary air in the firebox the flame will lift off the burner and the whole fire box to the exit of the chimney becomes a primary air only combustion chamber this is the sound change.

It could also be that the primary combustion mixture has slowed down through the ceramic burner enough that the flame has gotten behind the burner, this could be due to back pressure in the firebox.

The other possibility is a broken ceramic, it would not repeat but go to a noisy burner to start with.

i hope this helps

Art B

Last edited:

Mechanicboy

Reaction score
The other possibility is a broken ceramic, it would not repeat but go to a noisy burner to start with.

Art B
The burner is new when i bought the boiler. No broken or craks in the ceramic burner. It burn very well with red glowing ceramic.
When the ceramic burner is mounted on the boiler, then the burner noises. Adjusting the nozzle from least to max does not counteract noise.

I has the other boiler with ceramic burner mounted on the boiler, there is no noise since there is secondary air in the burner.

master53yoda

Reaction score
if the flame gets behind the ceramic it makes a similar to a pulse noise. if it is caused by the lack of secondary air it will make a more roaring sound. also the lack of secondary air could actually cause the flame to exit the chimney, it depends on how little primary air there is. on big boilers you set what is called a neutral pressure point in the exhaust to prevent a pressure build up in the fire box. the firebox pressure if not neutral can slow down the fuel flow through the ceramic and allow the flame to get behind the ceramic.

Art b

master53yoda

Reaction score
i took a good look at the pictures of the burner that burner has secondary air holes around the burner, it also isn't really a ceramic burner like the one in the video from David Shealey.
You might try firing it up and when the sound changes pull the burner assembly out of the boiler far enough to see the burner, if the sound changes back as soon as the burner starts drawing air around the burner it pretty well verifies the insufficient secondary air, if the flame comes back around the burner that would suggest a pressurized fire box.

Art B

Latest posts

Group Builder