hello

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davehall

Reaction score
experience = 0
watching bunch of instruction videos
trying to find some local pros. we do have a tech school local, but have not introduced myself yet
looking to buy first lathe soon.
i imagine eventually making small parts for robotics, but i don't know much about that either :)
MD by trade so hoping to keep most of my fingers and eyes.
located in US - WV

thanks for all the help so far. seems like a nice bunch.

Welcome to the forum Dave.

I saw your earlier post about what type of lathe...also Tin's response. It's a tough choice. I bought a Sieg. I have no experience with the Sherline or Taig although there are members who have had both or all three even. For Sieg it's like Tin says...it will do a great job but you do have to take some time to adjust it and get to know it.

I didn't know if this hobby was going to work out for me so I was hesitant to invest too much. (Although, as it turns out, I pretty much dove in. This was a little over a year ago.) My thinking was I could sell it and get something better/bigger later. Now I'm playing with the idea of moving to Sherline (because it's CNC ready) or moving up to a 9 or 10" Grizzly. Much depends on the type and size of projects you're interested in.

Look for local clubs or shows. This forum is a great way to build relationships and gain some knowledge.

Dave,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome dave if you have not already done so check out the getting started thread. Lots of good links there.
Tin

wow. this has to be the fastest response in the history of forums. I don't want to be one of those guys who does not try to figure it out on my own b4 posting some non-researched post, but.......

I'm am falling in love with the Sherline stuff. I have this idea (could be wrong) that i should learn how to do this stuff manually before getting into the CNC stuff. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get Sherline's CNC package (computer and all) or upgrade it later. Sure looks like they have made it as pain free as possible.

Not a urgent topic as I still have a 'few' things to learn before i lay my money down.

As I'm bouncing around your site, looks like all my questions have already been answered. Just little too much enthusiasm having found folks with common interest.

thanks again guys :)

dave if you are looking to cnc later a cnc ready machine is a good way to go. read the cnc section here on what myself and others like vern have done. there are lots of plug and play and semi plug and play systems out there you can add later. or go with a sherline upgrade package.
FYI i just posted a thread in the cnc section entitle what is needed for cnc. This could help in your decision.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=9787.0
Tin

Hi Dave....and welcome. As a long time Sherline user, I don't think you can go wrong there as long as you understand the size limitations. As has been said in this and other threads, the number, quality, and seemless integration of all of the accessories is a real plus to me. All of the machines mentioned have their plusses and minuses as noted, and though I do not use cnc, the Sherline's can be readily adapted for it. One element of the decision for me is supporting US manufacturers, at least those like Sherline (or Taig) that try hard to market a quality product at a fair price. It isn't easy in today's world economy and still they also manage to give back to this hobby.

Regards,
Bill

;D ;D ;D ;D just excited. no actual useful info in this post.

first new edition to shop. i broke down and bought the cheap band saw from harbor freight. For the life of me, I don't see how it is possible to manufacture this thing and move it across the ocean, etc for 160 dollars. The workers must have to pay to work.

I have not used it yet, but it looks sturdy enough to do anything I'll ever need it for. Maybe someday I'll go for a quality vertical.

Two thumbs up on those MIT videos. Best tip ever.
dave

Latest posts

Back