Hello from Wisconsin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnsinski

Reaction score
Hello, found this site looking for something else and already posted my old engine from 1997, seemed like the right place to post it.

I've always been fascinated by engine and motors. I built my first "motor" sometime in grade school. I remember an electric motor book that I constantly checked out from the library (I think I was the only one that checked it out). I was always taking things apart and putting them back together (sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse). You know, it's a classic story, "little Johnny brings to many toys to class and distracts the other students". (Does anybody actually care which year Columbus didn't discover America?)

After motorcycle mechanic school, I discovered "the machine shop". I was like, "so that's how you build real stuff". Being into RC for a long time, I thought it would be cool to try to build a model engine. Amazingly it worked, not only did it work, it would just about hover the 40 size plane I put it in. Boy did we stink the shop up with that thing. So that spurred me on to the 100cc V4.

My previous single build taught me that I didn't know how to build rings, so I found some nice OS rings (I think an OS160, 1.323" bore?) and based the engine design around those. A 1.1" stroke put it just under 25cc per cylinder. I tried several attempts at "spiral grinding" rings but never quite got it right, they worked ok, but I didn't want to be bogged down with that. I could probably work the math out on them now (or better, just look it up on the twitternets). None of the "engineers" (I use that term loosely) had any idea either, in fact some of them said, "aren't they just round" (It's Wisconsin, what do you expect?).

I worked on it part time during the summers. I don't know (and don't want to know) how many hours I had in design and machining, it was alot!

I'm slowly re-modeling it in Proe in 3D the way it should have been. It will be much easier to make from there, if somebody wants to attempt it.

That sounds like the childhood of more that a few members on this board

Welcome.....I like your work

Dave

John,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome to the forum John wEc1
Bill in SE Idaho ;D

Hi John,welcome to the forum. wEc1
Crab

Back