Hello from Southwest OHIO

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been watching and learning from this forum for several years and decided it is time to introduce myself.
I started my modeling in the late 90's buy buying a 8 x 20 Grizzly lathe and a RF30 mill/drill. I started with small steam engine kits and worked up to a PM Research #4. I then built a 1/2 scale Fairbanks-Morse Eclipse hit and miss kit from Tom Ball. The next adventure was a 1/3 scale Quincy hit and miss kit from Lone Star Engine works. As the Quincy flywheels were bigger I upgraded the Grizzly to the 12 x 36 Lathe. I added DRO's to both the lathe and the mill. I also converted the mill to variable speed by replacing the motor and adding a VFD. I am now working on a PM Research Red Wing kit. I have a question about a casting issue and I will post in the proper forum ( if I can figure this out).

Clarksville Don

Hi, Don. Where are you located? I live in Lebanon; maybe we can get together and swap lies ...
I watch and learn from this forum but seldom contribute; a lot of the fun of having a machine shop is figuring out and building tooling.
Paul

As suggested here are photos of my engines if I have figured how to post photos.
IMG_1282.JPG
IMG_0933.JPG
DSCN3299_1.jpg

Paul
I am about a mile out of Clarksville.
I agree figuring out fixtures and machining sequences are part of the fun.
Maybe we could meet for lunch some place in Lebanon.

Don

I have been watching and learning from this forum for several years and decided it is time to introduce myself.
I started my modeling in the late 90's buy buying a 8 x 20 Grizzly lathe and a RF30 mill/drill. I started with small steam engine kits and worked up to a PM Research #4. I then built a 1/2 scale Fairbanks-Morse Eclipse hit and miss kit from Tom Ball. The next adventure was a 1/3 scale Quincy hit and miss kit from Lone Star Engine works. As the Quincy flywheels were bigger I upgraded the Grizzly to the 12 x 36 Lathe. I added DRO's to both the lathe and the mill. I also converted the mill to variable speed by replacing the motor and adding a VFD. I am now working on a PM Research Red Wing kit. I have a question about a casting issue and I will post in the proper forum ( if I can figure this out).

Clarksville Don

Hello Don! Just wondering if you will be heading to Zanesville this weekend for the Mid-East Ohio show.

Welcome to the forum Don. Your work looks quite impressive.

I hail from Indianapolis, but on October 5, I'll be exhibiting (and running) my engines at Dayton's Carrilion Park.

If anyone would like to introduce themselves and talk shop, you know where I'll be.

...Ved.

Hello from South Yorkshire, thank you for welcoming me to this fantastic site, i mainly build steam locos of the small sizes and stationary steam engines. I have worked with a Toyo ML360 lathe for years but just just invested in a MYFORD ML7 to build a traction engine. At 76 years old i hope i can live to finish it.

Latest posts

Back