Hello from SC

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toyman01

Reaction score
I have had machine tools for a while, but mostly making parts for cars, RC race boats and antique engines. Nothing complicated, just easy stuff like fittings and pulleys. I am getting too lazy to haul around 500# engines and have always liked model engines so I bought a machined steam engine kit off e-bay and built it. Before I even finished it I bought a casting kit from PM Research. Looking forward to building it but figured I had better start with easier stuff.

My lathe is a 1940s era Southbend 9A with a 54" bed. It was a tool room lathe that saw very little use. I removed the 100# 110V motor and installed a tread mill motor and speed control. My mill is a Harbor Freight mini mill. It is still stock at the moment.

My other current hobbies are SCCA Autocross with the rest of the family and rebuilding antique tractors and engines with some friends. We drive a 1983 Mazda RX-7 and a 1980 Triumph Spitfire with a RX-7 engine and Miata suspension in the autocrosses. The antique machinery my friends and I have restored is two 1941 John Deere H tractors, a 1950s LeRoi 12hp engine and a 1920s McCormick 1 1/2hp engine. Currently under restoration is a Farmall Cub. We show the engines and tractors at shows around the state.

I would like to build a model Hit and Miss eventually as well as some larger steam engines, but had better start small. I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions and look forward to learning the limits of my abilities. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum Toyman01.
You've got some interesting hobbies.
Very much looking forward to builds and pics.

Welcome to the forum! That an excellent list of toys; "RC", "Model engines", "Deere", and SCCA ( I used to run in H-Stock and D-SP) are all words to get my attention. :D

Toyman01,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

I run E-Mod in this:

Abomination.jpg

The wife, son and daughter run CSP and CSPL in this:

DSC04085.jpg

Some of the other junk Y'all might be interested in:

Schwinn.jpg

Number1.jpg

I am out of room for big stuff so it's time to down size.

Well the pictures didn't work, I will have to work on that and edit this...

Edited to add pictures...I hope.

Toyman...
Welcome to the forum. There are several of us on the board from SC. Where in our little paradise are you hiding out?....(grin).

Steve

I'm down on the coast in Charleston. I love your neck of the woods though. My mother is originally from Pickens so I spent a lot of time up there as a kid.

Checking out your web site is kind of depressing. Those engines look like jewelry. I don't think I will ever be that good, though I will try.

Toyman
Don't dispare.... most of my collection is the work of others. I began collecting long before I decided I might one day build my own. I'm still a relative newcomer to the machining hobby.

Many a good time we've spent in your fair city. Our daughter attended College of Charleston, at one time, and we visited on a frequent basis. Food at its best, whether indulging oneself at 82 Queen or reveling in the wonderous tastes of Olde Town on King St. or Hyman Bros. on Meeting St. Breakfast was always at Poogans, of course....(grin)

Hope we can run into you at one of the shows. I began showing my collection this year and had a lot of fun at each venue. Maybe we can entice you to attend the Dacusville event in the future. We've begun to put together a fun group of model builders, most of them with a bit more experience than me.

Steve

No, that is a 40s era Schwinn with one of those cheap E-bay engines on it. Fun to ride around the neighbor hood. People hear it coming and expect to see a kid on a moped instead of a old fat guy on an antique bike. ;D

Cedge, do you ever get down to the Aiken Farm Fest? I didn't make it this year, but last year I showed up in a bright yellow 57 Chevy wagon pulling a trailer full of engines.

This one:

57Chevy.jpg

Toyman
I got started too late to make the Aiken show, this year, but it's close enough to be on next years schedule. I have to ask where you got the Nomad as it looks terribly familiar. I had a good friend who had one very much like it when I was in service. He was from Sumter and the last I heard, the car was sitting in a shed in Newberry. Na..... it couldn't be.

Steve

I bought it from a guy on Johns Island SC about three years ago and just sold it to a guy in Alabama.

We should be at Aiken next year. We also usually make the one in Moncks Corner, and the Sparkelberry show in Columbia. Look forward to seeing you at some of them.

Latest posts

Back