Hello from Richmond VA

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazzz

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Tonight I realized I have been lurking on this forum for a year without posting a single thing. Guess it is time to change that.

I have a HF 7x10 mini lathe and a HF mini mill. I purchased these three years ago to modify RC cars I was racing at the time. My wife complained about my first chips so I had to take a year or two to modify the shop and relocate the tools. I insulated the walls, installed plywood, added electrical outlets, and lighting. Moved the equipment to the other side of the garage to keep chips out of the house and make the wife happy. Had to build a new metal working bench. I will try to post some pictures in the shop section so you will get the idea of my work shop.

I have been slowly adding to my tooling collection for both pieces of equipment as money allows. I should be ready to start my first engine soon.

This forum has been a wealth of information for this rookie as I start the learning process of working with metal.

Dave

bazzz,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Yeah, welcome from me as well Dave.

Welcome Dave. Relatively new here myself, and have similar equipment. Retired from a place about 50 miles north of you on the Potomac, visited and shopped in Richmond quite often. Looking forward to pictures of your shop setup.

wEc1

Rudy

Welcome to the forum, or rather out from the shadows and into the posting side of things. Have you decideid on a first engine yet?

Regards,
Bill

Welcome:
A good friend of mine that I met at the Cabin Fever shows is from the Richmond area. If you see a guy around town Driving a Mid 60s vintage checker cab and wearing kilt that would be him . LOL He wears pony tail and drives a xerox van by day,
Tin

Welcome to the forum Dave.

Looking forward to the pics of your shop.

Not sure if you're complaining that you HAD to set up shop...but you did thank your wife for a great idea right? :big:

And another welcome. Lots of help here if you get in a bind. I have a lathe from Richmond. It is a Swayne Robinson. Remember when you work on a project, pictures, pictures, pictures. Ironman

wEc1 to the forum Dave. I work not far from Richmond - but in Surrey, UK!

Vic.

Dave,
Welcome aboard. Can't wait to see your first project.
Dennis

You came to the right forum, there are lots of talented as well as helpfull people here.
Have a great day and welcome aboard!

Rex

You guys really know how to make a guy feel welcome. :)

I hope to get some shop pictures this weekend after I do a little clean up.

I am not sure of my first engine yet. It will more than likely be a kit of some kind as I don't have a lot of material yet. I was looking at the "Thimble" by lineymachine on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Live-steam-engine-MACHINIST-KIT-Thimble-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ310196998221QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item48392e904d

Does anyone have any experience with this one?

That thimble engine is the "rocker" that so many of us went nuts over a few months ago. The plans are available here, I think.

bazzz said:
Does anyone have any experience with this one?

I can't help myself..."hahahahahahaahhaahah!"
Oh yeah...several of us.

Do a search on 'rocker' or 'rockeritis'

I suspect a few are still suffering from this form of 'projectitus'.

But don't let that stop you. Please post your build. Several of the people made small changes to make it unique or difference...the base, the air inlet...etc.

It's a fun project.

Latest posts

Back