Hello from Michigan.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1MACH

Reaction score
First off I apologize for my first post, I was upset with the news I had been reading and it got to me and is still bothering me, but oh well. My name Is Scott LaBombard and I have been a model builder,inventor my whole life starting with Lego's.The last 25 years I have been a journeyman machinist and the past 12 years I have operated my own small business (A-1 machining Inc.) here in Flushing Michigan. I have raised 3 children with the last one turning 18 in February. My interests are all over the place, I'm a treasure hunter, rock hound, scrap man, inventor, model builder and now I'm restoring a 1971 Corvette from the frame up.
I hope to soon add pics of my work and start a new project for all to follow. Again sorry about my first thread.

me.jpg

Scott

Hi and welcome to HMEM. It looks like you have lots of well rounded experience which IMHO is great. I am sure that in the future some of us will get a chance to benefit from some of it. When you see something that fits, jump right in and share your opinion or advise. That's what makes HMEM what it is. We look forward to your participation. When you have the chance perhaps you could share some of your projects with us. :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Welcome Scott,
For those of you who don't know about A-1, Scott has a very nice design and plans for the Walking Beam engine (and other engines) shown here:

P5290005.jpg

He's a great guy and was a big help when I needed advice.

Cheers,
Phil

Welcome Scott!

Nice looking beam engine!...nicely done too Phil!

Dave

Phil its nice to see you finished it, I know the last time we talked you were pecking away at it. I really like to see my models built by others and always like the changes and modifications that builders do. Hope to see you at NAMES this year. Thanks Phil.

A1MACH said:
Quote chopped to reduce dunnage
...starting with Lego's.The last 25 years I have been a journeyman machinist and the past 12 years I have operated my own small business (A-1 machining Inc.) here in Flushing Michigan...

Hi and welcome from another Michigander. I'm on the other side of the state in Holland. I've got a couple sons one of which is still quite busy with Lego at 18 YO. Brickworld in Wheeling IL 3 times and he went last fall to the Lego convention in Seattle WA. I actually took a Lego module two years to Brickworld. Google Great Ball Contraption. Fun stuff.

Paul

Welcome, Scott! Very nice walking beam engine design! Elegantly simple and balanced!

And hello Paul- I have a place in Holland (Riley and Lakeshore Drive) and my daughter lives there as well (South side) but my shop and home are in the suburbs of Chicago. Holland is one of the most beautiful places in the U.S., for those who don't know it. I'd love to hear about any HSM resources in the Holland area, besides Lamb Iindustrial, which I frequent regularly.

Hi Paul,

Yes Holland is a pretty nice place to live for the most part. Lots of trees and flowers. Lake close by (not that I do much lake related activity).

I have not found anyone other than Lamb Industrial for those kinds of supplies. I have ended up mail ordering much. Lamb supplies local industry which tends not to use a lot of taps and dies in "our" sizes so if you need stuff below about 4-40 you have to mail order or special order. But good to have for end mills, 5C collets, and whatnot so I don't have to wait for a mail order to arrive or pay shipping. Grand Rapids has several Industrial suppliers including a Production Tool Supply branch (at the airport entrance on 44th st. and Patterson Ave.) But for all that it is so close I still tend to mail order stuff more often than not. Gotta love McMaster-Carr. You ever drive out to Aurora and pick up stuff from them to save shipping?

A couple of metal recyclers that I have frequented for salvage materials and for selling back scrap too small to use. Hard time finding copper and brass in sizes I need locally; even in Grand Rapids 20 or so minutes away. Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo have Alro with "store front" sales where drops and small stuff are available for us hobbiests and researchers, etc.

BTW... I'm originally from IL myself. Grew up about on a farm about an hour or so SW from downtown Chicago. See if you can find Norway IL on a map. About 2 miles due south of Norway.

Paul

I am also from Michigan. Grand Rapids. It is really surprising how few suppliers there are for tooling and material for a town the size of Grand Rapids. Mail order is still the only option for most things in the size and quantity we require.

Anyone know of any clubs or groups for modeling in the area?

Back