Hello from Las Vegas

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaigTIN

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Martin and I just got started in this new amazing hobby. I use a TAIG mini lathe, hence my name is TaigTIN, couldn't think of anything better.

I've never machined anything in my life before and I'm almost done with my first project, and LTD Stirling engine.

So why am I posting? well, I want advice on what should my 1st steam project be. I like those horizontal mill engines or a vertical marine engine.

Oh, I use SolidWorks, and I draw the engine before I build it, that way I can tell how complex it's going to be.

Any input is appreciated...

Thanks..

Martin,

Hello from England.
I'm sure the more experienced members will give you good advice I'm new to this, so will refrain from recommending an engine.
I've recently bought a Taig & am learning to use it. If it helps with my Taig came a couple of dvds ('basic Taig microlathe' & 'advanced Taig microlathe') by a man called Jose Rodriguez - being new to using a lathe I found them really useful.

Just wanted to say a quick hello.

Mike

Welcome to the forum Martin.

I've only been at this for a year so I don't feel qualified enough to help. However, if you search around the forum you'll get a lot of ideas.

My impression is that you'll want to look for a plan that uses stock material rather than castings. The horizontal mill is a joy but I was glad I'd done two other engines before having a go at that.

There's a couple of members in the Las Vegas area. I wouldn't be surprised if they pop in to say hi.

Martin,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Thank you all for replying.

I'm new to Vegas, less than 6 months. So if you live in Vegas, chime in...

Latest posts

Back