Hello from Abu Dhabi

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuna346

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I'm just new in the subject of manufacturing model engines. Since a few years I'm racing with small Nitro powered RC cars but in the summertime it gets far too hot hear to stand in the desert and play around. A couple of days ago I saw a few videos about this tiny but impressive V8 engines and decided to get into it. I found this site and read through it with passion. You guys are really so talented and perfect that I can only salute you and hope that one day I get at least close to your skills. Specially the V8 of Steve will probably follow me into my dreams, what a beauty. So now let me come to my first and probably most important question; Where to start? Should I read some special literature, wach more videos or just get a bar stock and start filing it? I have a few friends with big machines who can help me out working on that bar stock but what should I tell them to do?

Thanks in forward

Hi Tuna and welcome to the forum. Depending on your skill level I would start with a simple steam or ic engine while reading as much as you can on the more complex builds

Hello Herbiev,

Thanks for the quick reply. I expected something like that answer thats of course the smartest approach to the subject. What I thought about too is to take some Autocad classes to be able to draw some of the engines from the download section. The images that I create, I could send to my friend who has a metal processing company with all the necessary tools like a cnc mill, leth and waterjet cutting and so on. I know it has been discussed so many times but is there a chance to get the engine plans in metric units? Or somehow to convert it, cause some people say that if I convert the stuff it will not match anymore.

Hi Tuna. By all means learn Autocad. It is a very handy aid in this hobby. I may stand corrected on this but converting to metric, if done correctly (ie 1"=25.4mm) I don't see any problems. My first choice would be to keep searching for metric plans so that screws will be in millimetres instead of BA or UNF.
Good luck and keep us posted.
P.S Have you considered buying one of the several kits available ?

Hi Rob. Thanks. Been here a while tho

Back