Hello from a noob

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptSensible

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a student of industrial design and this last semester I was assigned a project to make a miniature steam engine of some sort in a class about learning to operate a mill and lathe. Woblers have been the only working engines made previously in this class. Rather ambitiously I chose to make a 3 cylinder radial from a design I found here on this website. I had no idea never having used a mill and lathe what I was getting into... but... I finished a working model and learned more then I bargained for in the process.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time making it, I am sure most of you would take far less time but remember I have never used a mill or a lathe before or worked with metal. Removing broken HSS drill bits... ummm yay I'm learning? So many mistakes and blunders I cant count or remember them all. Nothing good comes from giving up though, so I pressed on confidant that someone somewhere had made this thing and maybe I could too. Actually that someone is HMEM member sbwhart who I want to give a huge thanks to for posting his plans and sharing his worklog here. His video of his much more beautiful 3 cylinder engine running was in the back of my mind as I learned what a rotary table was etc.

I am very proud of my achievement and just wanted to finally post here since I used this site as a valuable resource to get the project done. Thanks for the amazing portal to this hobby. I couldn't have done it and wouldn't have even tried to if I hadn't found this website when I first went looking for steam engine plans.

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

And a little video of it running here http://picasaweb.google.com/kenhatch/LastDayOfTermUpload?authkey=Gv1sRgCKmW5PzA-dC7xgE#5551823464631459986, sorry its like the worst movie ever but I am new to this whole thing and just wanted proof in case the sky fell in that I finished my project. More, better, latter...

And again, THANK YOU!!!!

Oh yeah, I got an A. You all can claim a little part of it for sharing your passion with the rest of the internet.

I will post more in the pics and vids section, and eventually a work log in the finished projects section. Its not done the exterior surfaces are in some cases rough, but it functions properly and is 98% complete. And I am tired. 3 day nap is coming on I can feel it...

Ken thanks for sharing . Good to see young people getting excited about metal working engine building etc. Nice engine.
You deserve the A. Glad to see the path less taken worked out for you. When you decide to invest in your own machines you now know how to use them. And welcome to the forum.
Tin

Welcome ken, nice work there! Thm:

Great work Ken, definitely an "A" project. Unfortunately I couldn't link to the video. Maybe its just me so I try again later unless others are having a problem also. Keep up the good work!! Enjoy your nap too :big:

Bill

An education is never wasted son. You will NEVER forget that engine...and what you learned.

Dave

Thanks everyone ;D You are all too kind.

I fixed the link to the video, here it is again.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kenhatch/LastDayOfTermUpload?authkey=Gv1sRgCKmW5PzA-dC7xgE#5551823464631459986

In the video the gauge is blurry but it reads down to 3 psi. How accurately is debatable. The first blurry number up the dial is 10 psi and the engine ran nicely for a time at to low a pressure for the dial to indicate. Then a bit later and not in the video I took it to like 40 psi to see how fast it would run... it was very fast, but then it seemed to loose timing or develop an air leak that made it stutter then seize up (not locked up but would stop and need a gently turn of the shaft). It has since developed some issues and does not run continuously as I would like. But those issues are for a real thread not the hello section so I will leave you with the crappy vid until I can put together a proper post. Going back to sleep now.

Ken, is there a flywheel somewhere that I am missing? That should correct most if not all of the issues you mention.

Bill

I made a full post in the Work in progress section head on over if you would like to discuss this project. Again Thanks for all the positive feedback! ;D

Ken,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back