Hello from a new member

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George_Race

Reaction score
Hi to all. My name is George and I live near Albion MI. I have a small 25 X 14 CNC setup that I put together a couple of years ago. I am now building a bunch of CNC cut Experimental Airplane parts. I built and have flown my own airplane. I am retired after 39 years at Albion College.

I also have a small 7 X 10 Harbor Freight Lathe. Just ordered a 4 jaw chuck so I can have a go at building one of the simple engines. I think that may make things easier. I will also be doing as much as I can on the CNC. Will take a lot of pictures when I get started and keep you all up to date.

If any of you are doing CNC and using Mach3, I have a very nice 3 and 4 axis screen set you can download from: http://www.mrrace.com/SimpleMill/ If you want to look at some of my airplane projects you can go to: http://www.mykitairplane.com Click on the Products Tab to see the kind of stuff I am building.

If anyone is just getting started with CNC I have about 2 years of experience to share as a new comer / non machinist. Have learned a lot the hard way, but all good experience along the way.

George

Welcome.

I like your SimpleMill set 3, and am going to try it out.

Can you explain how the 'Set Z 0' is supposed to work? Does it need a probe?

kvom said:
Welcome.

I like your SimpleMill set 3, and am going to try it out.

Can you explain how the 'Set Z 0' is supposed to work? Does it need a probe?

Yes it does. I used a piece of single sided PCB hooked to input pin 15 on my controller. It really does a nice job of finding the surface of the work.
Can give you a lot more detail if you need it.
George

Welcome George:
Welcome to the forum.
Looks like you have a nice little gantry mill / router there.
I have retro fitted an X-2 mil and a edesal machinex lathe. the builds are in the cnc section of the board.
i have tried to post some stuff for newbies but pleas feel free to add to the section and posts.
Tin

Hi George and welcome to the board, I am about 20 miles north of you in Eaton Rapids. No CNC yet but I am slowly working on it. When I lived in Paw Paw I had one friend with a home built airplane and one with a Helicopter. Both of them participate in the Oshkosh event.

George,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back