Hello everybody out there

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhb

Reaction score
I found this forum by coincidence looking for stuff about model cars. And after some digging around in a lot of subjects I decided to sign up because I see here people with a lot of technical knowledge and skills that I am looking for when constructing and building my modelcar . This on the contrast with a lot of people on a model forum because they have different skills

First a little bit about myself and my workshop
I am an older youngster and above that I live in the Netherlands.
A number of years ago suddenly there was a possibility to fulfill a wish that was wandering in my head for many years. I found myself a lathe. It only needed a restoration .
After done so there was the next problem. What to do with it!!. Because I have mainly interest in technical stuff but no technical building what so ever it took quit sometime and smalltalks to the technical engineers in my surroundings to get it going a little bit.
But when time passes and my skills increases my workshop in my garage keeps on growing.
The first real thing I did with all my “workshop skills” was building me a full suspension ATB bike in scale 1 to 1. Nowadays you can buy one or buy all the goodies to make such a thing work perfect but for 12 years ago it was different. So I decide to make the technical stuff except the wheels, the chain wheels and the gear stuff myself on the lathe. The frame was made from carbonfibre/epoxy and most parts from Aluminum,. It took a year and it worked ok but I found out that design and construction is one thing but being your own test rider is a different one. The first few kilometers there was the fear if it all would stay in one piece and that the ideas you had about design and strength of the construction were right. But luckily they were and still are because the bike is still alright.
Only a lathe was no longer enough. A mill was the next wish. So I found and bought me one.
From then on there was again a new challenge to get the skill of getting the mill going.
Then there was that deja vue feeling. What to do with it. I decided to build me a model car from scratch. But in a way that it was a complete replica in a scale 1 to 5 with materials more or less the same as the real ones and time may not be a factor. So I had to find a car from which I could find enough technical information and drawings to make me a drawing with dimensions I needed to make my model..

Forgot to tell that in the period of building the bike I decided to make me design drawings with the right dimensions. So I’ve learned some CG-2D-drawing. with the MS-DOS versions of AutoCad as the program. So when everything changed from DOS to Windows also the drawing programs changed . With bigger and better computers at home even 3D drawing became possible. That’s what I wanted so I decided to concentrate me a little on to that.

After a thorough internet search I found a car which possible could be the subject I was looking for. A Porsche 917 . The ultimate le Mans racing car from the late sixties of the previous century. It had a tubular spaceframe with a glassfiber outside, and what the part that interested me most a flat 12 cilinder air-cooled engine with a 5-speed gearbox
It took about a year to find the dimensions of all the parts and to draw 3D-drawings in a 1 to 1 scale.
Then I decided to start building with the engine first. As mentioned before I was looking for model engines as I found this forum. But inhere most people are trying to construct an engine that will run from itself. So here I found that I have to give up the idea that one day it would run on itself. Heat transfer, lubrication and complexity of fuel injection on a small scale and above all my wish to keep everything scaled, I don’t think it could be possible to make this engine run. Hopefully it maybe possible to turn it by hand but even that I wonder but you never know.
Anyway already thanks for the the things I learned so far here on HMEM

Regards Rijk

Welcome to the forum Rijk.
It sounds like you have some challenging interests.

To get a little idea of the number of parts I have to make only for the engine
Herewith a exploded view of a Porsche 917 engine made with the 3D drawings of all parts

exploded05.jpg

regards Rijk

Rijk,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Hello, Rijk. Welcome.
Dennis

First of all welcome
While it would be a challenging build to say the lease. It can and has been done
This car took 3 years to make the drawings and another 12 to biuld IIRC 20 thousand hours.
[youtube=425,350]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxYRa0pqxlw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxYRa0pqxlw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
You just need to decide how simple or grand a project you build.
There are folks out there that have built model V-8s and a guy that did a 1/8 scale version of the Packard Merlin that powered the P-51 mustang. also take a look at Geoge Luhrs work also amazing
http://www.minimodelengines.com/Feature5R.htm
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
It can and has been done, This car took 3 years to make the drawings and another 12 to biuld.

Yes I know. I did have seen that movie a while ago. But my skills are of a different level. And I don't think I got enough stamina to get a project going for 12 years.

regards Rijk

Latest posts

Back