"Hard Aluminum"

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TarheelTom

Reaction score
Elmer makes reference many times to "Brass or Hard Aluminum" as a material for various parts.

What currently available alloy(s) are suitable to use where Elmer calls for "Hard Aluminum"

Tom

When I hear hard aluminum I think of 6061 t652 material or harder yet 7075 t651 the T number is the temper of the material.
I don't know what he is refering to.But this is what I think of every time I hear hard aluminum.

Hi Tom, I deal with McMaster-Carr quite a bit for parts and material. When you go to their website and look up a material they have a good explanation of each item, whether metal or plastic. Here is a link that I took from the aluminum page.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum/=6kjaiv
gbritnell

Either 6061 or 2024 are the common hard alloys. 7075 is also hard but not as common.

6061 common structural grade
2024 aircraft grade
7075 marine grade
Tin

I think you mean 6063 for common structural grade. 6061 is what my airplane is made of.

Charlie

From the on line metals guide:

6061 Aluminum
6061 Aluminum is, by most any measure, the most commonly used aluminum alloy. It is specified in most any application due to its strength, heat treatability, comparatively easy machining, and weldability. If that were not enough, it is also capable of being anodized, adding a layer of protection for finished parts.

the fatigue resistance of 2024 make it a primary choice when the application is expected to be under stress or strain for prolonged periods. It is commonly used in aerospace applications.

7075 is the other "aircraft grade" aluminum that is carried by OnlineMetals. Its principal alloying ingredients are Zinc and copper, which make it one of the highest-strength aluminum alloys that are available. In fact, its typical strength in the T6 temper is higher than most mild steels.

6063 Aluminum
6063 is often called architectural aluminum for two reasons - first, it has a surface finish that is far smoother than the other commercially available alloys, and second, its strength is significantly less (roughly half the strength of 6061),

Tin

Latest posts

Back