Gus's Rupnow Hit and Miss Engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good Gus, I ended up using lead solder on my tank after having trouble silver soldering the first attempt.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

I cheated. Only the fuel socket was silver brazed. The trick is you need fire power. I first use a Butane torch to dry uo the flux paste and preheat for a while then use a two burner Mapp Gas Torch. Must heat up the brass nozzle to
dark red heat with the copper pipe and then heat up the silver rod before apply to the joint area. The molten silver rod will melt like ice and flow all around. Some additional silver may be required to to thicken up joint.The Permanent Marker was use to contain/prevent spill over.

The two end caps were drive fit in with lead solder rod in a circumferential groove to melt inside w/o spilling out. Temperature is by eye-ball judgement.

The trick to good silver brazing is sufficient heating power to reach brazing temperature quickly and no over heating.Dark Red will do.

Was lucky this occasion to have done a good looking joint.Been taught by a refrigeration plumber who made silver brazing look so easy.

Hi Paul,
Spent my Yokohama holidays trying hard to come up with a simpler design fuel tank support. This morning I gave up and made your "P" clamps which require a bending jig.
Sure am glad to have made the bending jig which made life easier and no rejects. For easy hand bending,blank was annealed.
Regrind 6.5mm drill to avoid drill grabbing and damage the clamps.
Job completed by 5pm after a good midday break.
Will polish up later.Will move on to make the check valve to eliminate fuel flow back to fuel tank and having fuel line primed means prompt starting. Bought OS Carb to get good experience with carb tuning.
Plan to revert to the original Carb which I messed.

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea making the bending jig, I only thought about that after I had finished bending mine around a bit of bar by hand.
My fuel check valve works great, haven't run the engine for a few days, but the fuel is still all the way up in the fuel line.

Paul.

Reactions: gus
Good idea making the bending jig, I only thought about that after I had finished bending mine around a bit of bar by hand.
My fuel check valve works great, haven't run the engine for a few days, but the fuel is still all the way up in the fuel line.

Paul.

Gus is hopeless at free hand bending using odds and ends. Made at least three jigs while making this H&M. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I can get engine running. Have a lunch appointment which I cannot turn down.
The check valve will a column type with side inlet and outlet and fixed to the
plinth.

Gus,
Finally got to see a video of your engine running. NiceThm:

Cheers,
Phil

Reactions: gus
Hi Gus

You are spot on about Silver Soldering (Silver Brazing), it needs three things, clean joints, plenty of flux, and enough heat.

It doesn't need to get to a really high temp but needs enough therms to get the whole joint area nice and red quick enough for the flux to still be active but not so fast as to "boil" it off.

I use a big Sievert Propane torch for mine and and an improvised firebrick hearth. The torch with a BIG burner on doubles as the burner for my Ali melting furnace.

I would think that such jobs are quite tricky in your balcony workshop due to space limitations but you've got plenty of ventilation so you don't need to worry about flux fumes or things like that

Regards Mark

Great colors Gus. I wish that you leave it like that....Just a clear varnish & job done.

Barry

Looking real good Gus.
I enjoy your updates because they have such pretty pictures. :)
Keep up the good work.

Maxx

Great work Gus.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Found an outlet that sells cutting tools for lathe and mill.
Bought a set of twist drills 6----10 mm in 0.1mm increments.Finishing looks quite good.
Address-----------Trustech Block 808 French Road,#02--23 KitchenerComplex,
Singapore 200808
Website---trustech.com.sg.

Looks like most UK Brands are made in India.
Will be buying a 80 mm Chuck.

Gus in on duty as volunteer coffee-boy at Block 7, Tan Thong Cheong Fishing Tackle Shop every afternoon 1------4pm,Mon----Friday.

Hi Gus

You are spot on about Silver Soldering (Silver Brazing), it needs three things, clean joints, plenty of flux, and enough heat.

It doesn't need to get to a really high temp but needs enough therms to get the whole joint area nice and red quick enough for the flux to still be active but not so fast as to "boil" it off.

I use a big Sievert Propane torch for mine and and an improvised firebrick hearth. The torch with a BIG burner on doubles as the burner for my Ali melting furnace.

I would think that such jobs are quite tricky in your balcony workshop due to space limitations but you've got plenty of ventilation so you don't need to worry about flux fumes or things like that

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,
Here is some sad story. No body told me that camping gas can fired torches does not provide enough heat. Spent an hour heating a 2" OD copper boiler
to no avail. With the copper pipe placed on a vice and heated by a Camping gas torch nearly set the work bench on fire.

Got smart bought a Mapp Gas Torch used by plumbers and refrigeration service men. Just managed to silver brazed 1/2 the circumference of the dished head end cap. Not satisfied . With Butane torch and Mapp Gas Burner,
brought boiler end to red heat and silver brazing results improved.

Months later silver brazed another 2" boiler successfully using two Mapp Gas Burner. With torches,red heat was achieved easily and silver solder flowed nicely.

Silver brazing steel and brass is another game. Sliver brazing brass to brass
another game too but easier.

Nowadays I go for 40% Silver content to sleep in peace. I get silver rods mixed up. So best solution is stock up only with 40% silver rods. From day one I was strongly advised by the HMEM meisters.

Currently I have Mapp Gas Burners with twin torches. Now looking for three torch burner which I have seen on a job site silver brazing 1" OD copper pipe.

Been fun learning to silver braze. Takes practice.

Hi Dave,

Found an outlet that sells cutting tools for lathe and mill.
Bought a set of twist drills 6----10 mm in 0.1mm increments.Finishing looks quite good.
Address-----------Trustech Block 808 French Road,#02--23 KitchenerComplex,
Singapore 200808
Website---trustech.com.sg.

Looks like most UK Brands are made in India.
Will be buying a 80 mm Chuck.

Gus in on duty as volunteer coffee-boy at Block 7, Tan Thong Cheong Fishing Tackle Shop every afternoon 1------4pm,Mon----Friday.

Thanks for the tip Gus, I will look in on this shop when I get back, we are currently hiding from the weather at some sheltered islands, only got about another two days work and then heading back to Singapore, I will come and get a coffee with you once I get back.

Dave

Gus--I haven't seen any posts from you lately. What are you working on now?---Brian

Hi Brian,

Busy enjoying carb tuning/carb switching and running your engine. Your fuel check valve works wonders and no more messy fuel priming. Leave engine alone for two three days and she starts easily. Will make one for Webster too and all other future engine builds.
Just cleared the big swarfs/chips/cleaning paper towels/mess after building two engines-------Webster and Brian's H&M.Recoil Spring on the drill press broke and fixed.

Not for long as Paul is sending me mitre gear drawings.Will be busy cutting gears again and getting the Hitting & Missing function going.Will be fun cutting mitre gears first time.

Leaving in an hour's time to hook big sea bass. will post catch.

Gus--I haven't seen any posts from you lately. What are you working on now?---Brian

Just got back from a nice doing-nothing holiday in Southern Thailand.Good sea food. The Thai people has got 1001 way to cook sea food.

Day 1 today.

Completed and mounted Gear Cutter on Arbor made from scrap bin .
Come tomorrow will cut mitre gear blanks. Cut four pces for practice/scrap/etc.

Will do a Works Instruction sheet so as not bungle job. Promise will be very attentive and alert and smart too to cut the mitre gears.

Meanwhile see my Module 1.0 Arbor and cutter.Been view Paul's latest video.

IMG_2423.jpg

Good to see you back, Gus. Best of luck with the gears.---Brian

Brian,
Thanks. Promise will do best and hopefully no goofs and scraps. But goofing is the learning path.
Will take the entire week to prep and then cut gear.

Been reading up mitre gear cutting while on holiday in S.Thailand.

Latest posts

Back