Gus's Rupnow Hit and Miss Engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gus--Glad to see that you are progressing. I am still watching all of your posts and cheering you on.---Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks.You are my machineshop Guardian Angel.

Was hard to accept I need so many practice runs to get mitre gear cutting right. :wall::wall:I deviated from Ivan Law's methods and used the Japanese method.
So as to say my mitre gears are to JIS dimensions. My mitre gears did mesh
good. Engaged both gears and mesh and spin OK.
Will cut with bronze or brass if required.Meanwhile use the aluminium mitre
gears till they drop dead. I now have a collection of bad mitre gears and one feather in the hat--------mitre gear cutting.:D

Gus,

Thanks for the update ... glad that all is well and you are still making chips.

Will also be following along ...

Pat H.

Congrats on the miter gears Gus. Another line added to your resume

Cheers,
Phil

Reactions: gus
Congrats on the miter gears Gus. Another line added to your resume

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Phil,

Resume.

In 1963,just after three years from Trade School,went for turner/fitter job interview. Gus did have any job resume. The guy that came next after me got the job. His resume--------6 months with a parts factory operating a turret lathe. Gus had none.:hDe:
Fortunately Metal Box took me in as an Engineering Trainee as I was going for my HND,MEch.Engineering.:) In reality Gus was Can Line Operator that is looking after the beer can line machines.

Cutting spur gears was easy. Mitre Gears another ball game.:wall::wall:
Will be another two weeks to finish up with the H&M governor assembly.
Thanks for the support.

So, what's happening Gus? Are you winning or losing?--Hope all is going well.---Brian

Hi Brian,

Spent too much time in the balcony workshop. Made some $$$$ so taking
wifefy boss for a four day eat/shop tour in Southern Thailand where daily items are 50% cheaper.

Should be finishing up the H&M by latest mid December.

Now admiring my trophy---------the governor stempost. One cut and no scrap/reject. Looks complicated and tough. Did work plan on paper .As you said ,do it bit by bit.
About to leave for airport.

No worries. How is the weather now over at your end? Trust not too cold.
Had a lucky weekend. Landed plenty of Snappers.

IMG_2454.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

Gus--Nice work---Nice fish!!! Top part of stempost looks really great. I hated all those interrupted cuts. Weather here ??---Same as usual for this time of year. Daytime temperatures around +5 to +12 C, night time just at or below freezing. We have had 1.5" of snow, (about 38 mm) but it has melted away now. Had a few days of extremely high winds---not tornado class, just windy enough to make me worry about the big trees in my front yard. Temperatures probably won't get to the level of constant below freezing until about mid December. After that, snow accumulation up to 1 metre, until mid March or early April. I am really happy to see you working on the Rupnow Engine. Cogsy is back to work on his now too. I think the world may see 4 running engines by Christmas. Canada, Tasmania (which I have been reminded is part of Australia), China, and Australia. We now appear to have two Americans building engines, but neither has started a post about their work. Good shopping and good fishing Gus!!!---Brian

SNAPPER! Gus your killing me!
I've got a 1,160 km (721 miles) drive to the closest fresh sea food.

Your engine is looking great. Life’s too short to rush

Mm mm. Thai food. Oh they would defiantly have to ship me home air freight.

Gus--Perhaps I owe you an apology. I have arrived at the ripe old age of 67, firmly believing that Singapore was part of China. I just checked on my globe, and it appears that Singapore is in Malaysia. Then I looked it up on the internet, and it informs me that Singapore is a country unto itself!!!--Please straighten me out here. Which is correct??----Brian

Gus--Perhaps I owe you an apology. I have arrived at the ripe old age of 67, firmly believing that Singapore was part of China. I just checked on my globe, and it appears that Singapore is in Malaysia. Then I looked it up on the internet, and it informs me that Singapore is a country unto itself!!!--Please straighten me out here. Which is correct??----Brian

Hi Brian,

Most Westerners think that Singapore is located in China. This is perhaps because 85 % of us came from China or perhaps we are not too far from China. Singapore is in fact Sanskrit,Indian.Singa is lion and Pore is city. While working with Ingersoll-Rand,Singapore,I received USA/Canada mail addressed "Singapore,China. Later we merged with Malaysia and hence Singapore,Malaysia. Because of our PM's big
mouth,we got kicked out in 1965 and became Republic of Singapore with our own army,air force and navy. For a small country we have the most F-16s.Lost count of nos. as most are located in Nevada,USA for training and exercises.Pumas too. SAMS too with some aiming north at Malaysia.We have submarines too . Six Subs. A good size fleet of missile boats.
Looking back to 1965 and today we owed a pretty lot to our first PM ,LKY(Harry Lee) for getting our independence.From third country we became first country.
All male citizens do 2 1/2 years Army Stints and go into reservist till 40.
It is a small island of 241 square miles and any country can walk in and take over if we have no armed forces. Our defence mode is attack/capture/hold/bargain----Israeli style.
We have all the USA food chain------Macs,KFC,Wendys,LongJohns,Pizzas.

Brian, please drop by and Gus will buy you good beers and steaks.

Thank you for clearing that up Gus. Jeez, I don't know what we have defence wise here in Canada. I think 3 ancient sea-king helicopters and a slingshot. I think there is a far better chance of Gus coming to Canada than Brian going to Singapore. If you are in Canada (Toronto) be sure and call me and we will get together.---Brian

You gotta slingshot in Canada Brian?? That's luxury - sheer luxury. We can only dream of slingshots in Oz.

Jim

Brian forgot the three leaky fishing dories in Newfoundland and four used submarines that we bought from England that I don't think ever got underwater again (not intentionally anyway!).

Thanks for the explanation Gus ... I needed that lesson as well.

Cheers,

Tom

Brian forgot the three leaky fishing dories in Newfoundland and three used submarines that we bought from England that I don't think ever got underwater again (not intentionally anyway!).

Thanks for the explanation Gus ... I needed that lesson as well.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

There are some local folks here querying the goverment why are we spending so much on defence for a small island republic.Malaysia can call us prior to walking over the causeway and trample us. Indonesia could fire some outdated rockets at us and bomb us with some very old bombers.
Malaysia did threaten to cut off their raw water supplies to Singapore but they had a water crisis and we supplied drinking water over the causeway.
Indonesia could threaten to turn off LNG supplies to our power stations.We are about to buy shale gas from USA.

We bought AWAC Hawkeye Surveillance Aircrafts for early warning.
We have surveilance satellites too.

Total defence can be mobilised with 24 hours.Every family have two soldier sons.

Gus is very happy living in safe Singapore making HMEM Engines.:)

Governor about done. Going on to the hit and miss mechanism. These small parts are not very forgiving. Hopefully H&M totally completed before Christmas.

IMG_2481.jpg

Last bit of the H&M mechanism done. Will take the next few days to get the engine to run with the Hitting & Missing.

These two parts were easier than I thought.

The next post will be in 7---10 working days. Meanwhile will be a blackout.Will fun trying to hit and miss.

IMG_2485.jpg

Latest posts

Back