Gus's Rupnow Hit and Miss Engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck cutting the miter gear Gus. Eventually, I'll be doing one.

Cheers,
Phil

Hi Gus

Great you had a nice break, I am still in Singapore at Loyang getting the vessel ready for the next job, I will give you a call over the next few days and try and arrange to meet for coffee.

Dave

Hi Gus

Great you had a nice break, I am still in Singapore at Loyang getting the vessel ready for the next job, I will give you a call over the next few days and try and arrange to meet for coffee.

Dave

Hi Dave,

See you.

Was in Hatyai. Back in the 70s,it was a very small city and now I get lost on foot trying to look for old landmarks like the train station,Kosit Hotel,Sukonta Hotel etc. Even Songkla has changed. Songkla and Satun have very good seafood restaurants.

Hi Gus, think every move through twice when cutting the mitre gears and you should be OK.

Paul.

Good advice. Nearly ruined the indexing gear with the first cut.

See divider gear and set-up.

Please help.Need drawing for Module 1.0 20 tooth Mitre gear. The KG Gear Master Catalogue does lacks vital dimensions.
Meanwhile will practice cutting some aluminium dummies before moving to brass.

See fotos.
1. Poor man's table stop.Just got some smart idea to make permanent
stops.
2. Cutting the divider gear
3. Set up poor man divider plate.

Need your expert advice on cutter no. Suspect a 20 T cutter won't do.

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

Last edited:
Gus, you will find the drawing for the mitre gear here http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/entries/cutting-mitre-gears.html

I stated in the article that I used a no:3 cutter, but I think that it should have been a no:4, I can't edit the article anymore. The cutter is based on using the PCD at the large end of the gear.

Paul.

OK .

Hi Paul,

Here is how I goofed.
We cannot use Module 1.0 Mitre Gear dimensions from KG Gear Cat. Calculated OD and ID using Ivan Law's guide. Calculated OD is 30mm approx. v/s 21.46 from KG. No wonder . The 2nd and 3rd cut removed all the teeth,
Gus got too smart.
No Worries. Retirees have plenty of time. Reckon by next week,I should have some good looking gears with good matching teeth.

IMG_2430.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the article and 20 T gear drawing.
Save Gus from arithmetric and drawing. Both of which Gus dreaded in Technical College. Just how did I passed and get my diploma in Engineering.
I have the brass bar stocks.

Hi Gus, I've been through exactly what you did. The sizes for commercial gears are different due to their method of cutting, I thought that it would save time by having the sizes available from their catalogues, but it's not to be.

Paul.

Hi Gus, I've been through exactly what you did. The sizes for commercial gears are different due to their method of cutting, I thought that it would save time by having the sizes available from their catalogues, but it's not to be.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

OK. Monkey see .Monkey. Use their dimensions and cut taper root channel by tilting the cutting angle to 52 degrees.

Will cut one more to see it it matched and mesh well. Had a good look at a pair of KG Mitre Gears that I bought from Tokyuhands. See no reason for now why mine should not work. Back in China,Gus could get shot for daring to deviate. Ha ha:p

Dividing Head needs bit of rework to remove axial backlash.

See foto of a prototype. If it works,will cut in brass. If not then will fall back using your proven method.

Also see foto of Japanese KG Mitre Gear on top of my DIY Alum Gear.

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea what your all talking about, but this is something I have to learn in the very near future, to be able to cut gears is actually something I have dreamed of.

Great work Gus

Dave

Hallo Gus,

I have enjoyed the construction from your Hit and Mis engine.It's a beautifull product of model engineering you may proud on it.I can learn a lot from you Gus.I did n't had the time to give a reaction earlier cause of my illness and work to do in the house.I hope you forgive me.I will look after your other threads too as soon as possible.

many greetings from,

modelmotor-Gerard from The Netherlands -Europe.

Reactions: gus
Gus--You are definitely getting there. The bevel gears are quite a head scratcher. I was successful in cutting a pair of 24DP bevel gears, following Swiftys lead and reading Ivan Laws book about twenty times. I did put a post of it on HMEM if that is any help.---Brian

I have no idea what your all talking about, but this is something I have to learn in the very near future, to be able to cut gears is actually something I have dreamed of.

Great work Gus

Dave

Hi Dave, cutting straight spur gears is not too difficult, but when it comes to mitre and bevel gears, thats where the difficulty starts. The problems are compounded when you want to cut a pair of different ratio bevel gears, as each gear has a different angle, even if they meet at 90deg. (I might have to try that out)

Paul.

Hi Dave, cutting straight spur gears is not too difficult, but when it comes to mitre and bevel gears, thats where the difficulty starts. The problems are compounded when you want to cut a pair of different ratio bevel gears, as each gear has a different angle, even if they meet at 90deg. (I might have to try that out)

Paul.

Hi Paul,

This may be my first and last mitre gear cutting. Was tougher than I thought.
The obstacle is impatient me. The last cut can kill the gear. Plan to cut 5 tooth at one 5--10 minute duration. The trouble is when I thought I got it and I became impatient and disaster struck.
Will resume. Did a bit planning and soul searching. Never knew these two little gears can be so tough to cut.:wall:

Just finished cutting another two gears. Vast improvement. Will cut the final version in brass next week. Its weekend fishing again.:D

Wil resume next week.

Don't worry Gus, I have several failed attempts in the scrap bin. Eventually everything will make sense.

Paul.

Don't worry Gus, I have several failed attempts in the scrap bin. Eventually everything will make sense.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the morale boosting. :)

I forced my self to succeed in gravity casting 100 aluminium condensate traps way back in 1995. Faliure of which would mean company paying L.D. damages.:hDe:

Guess will take the same approach. Now looking at alternative short cut approach. Using the K.G. Japan mitre gears bought from TokyuHands.;)

Gus, with all that nasty weather around, are you OK??

Tom

Gus, with all that nasty weather around, are you OK??

Tom

Hi Tom,

No worries. Here in Singapore,we are far away from the Super Typhoon.Just a bit of heavy rain and no strong wind. Was fishing over the weekend in the Straits of Singapore. Very calm but fish not biting. But we did lost two line breakers.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Succeeded cutting the 7th and 8th gear. Cause of failure was my poor mitre gear cutting skill and impatience. You just cannot rush cutting mitre gear.
Was about to throw in towel.

Both gears were cut by eye-ball judgement as my mill table feed handwheel
has missing dial and there is no way I could adjust tooth depth accurately.

Both gears are aluminium and won't last too long and brass/bronze gear replacement will be required.

Here's the truth, was eyeing the Module 0.8 KG Japanese Mitre gear samples. they have taper gear channel. So monkey see monkey do.Took two attempts to succeed. The gears were cut w/o 1/4 tooth offset.
The gears did mesh well and good.

Gears fitted in and they engaged well.See foto.

I am sure I am not the original inventor of unothodox mitre gear cutting.

IMG_2443.jpg

Latest posts

Back