Gus's Rupnow Hit and Miss Engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Brian,

Got roped in to shop for Christmas and spring cleaning by the darling boss. After three week break,my lazy bones is preventing me finishing the H&M.:hDe:
No worry . Took a 8 am look at the engine and its kind of begging me to get H&M going.
I am suffering from a disease--------"too many Hobbies". :hDe:
Christmas around the corner.Take care and have a great Christmas. This coming Sunday son will buy us Dinner at the Marina. Fishing was good on Sunday. My friend landed all and Gus ------------Zero.:wall:
Looks the fish like the port side of boat. Put in 3 artificial reefs with hollow bricks and 6 more to go.Means fish aplenty
next year. Need two three months to mature.

IMG_2517.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

Merry Christmas Gus, and a very happy New Year!!! I wish you good fishing, good health, and a finished engine!!---Brian

Hi Gus,
We have a saying "make hay when the sun shines". Likewise, go fishing when the fish are biting. Everything else (making engines) comes after.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Phil

Hi Gus,
We have a saying "make hay when the sun shines". Likewise, go fishing when the fish are biting. Everything else (making engines) comes after.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Phil

Thanks .Phil. As I said --------too much distraction. If you lose an engine part,it goes to scrap bin. If you lose a fish,there is always another fish.:rant:

Hi HMEM Folks,

Now in the painful process of removing all lazy bones,tearing away from the Apple NBook.:rant:
About to switch off NB and walk opposite to buy petrol. Battery fully charged.
Will report tonite!!!!

Got her putt----putting away.Now figgering out how to get the H&M part going. Will be fun and will need help. But I got a very lazy way out. ''Cut-out and cut-in the the low tension supply'' to get the ''hit&miss''.

Gus,

Glad to hear that you back at it ...:):)

Pat H

No cheating allowed. Has to do it with the real governor system and video must be posted. Here is hoping for "balls up"---in a good way!!! If you need help just ask.---Brian

Gus--What did you mean when you said that when your "hit and miss" mechanism kicked in the exhaust valve hit the top of the piston? I don't see how that is possible. The "hit and miss" mechanism will prevent the exhaust valve from closing, but I can't imagine how it could cause the valve to open more and hit the piston. If it didn't hit the piston when running without the hit and miss mechanism, it shouldn't have hit it when the hit and miss mechanism engaged.---Brian

While trying to get the Hit&Miss going manually,my 6 year old Tool Box got demolished by the Rupnow H&M Engine. Tried buying same Tool Box.Same now obsolete as China does not make it any more.What a sad end to my faithful tool box which served me for last 6 years w/o any complaints.
I have good reason to deviate and DIY my very own custom made Tool Maker's Chest.
It will be a modern version with extra smooth drawer slides and Custom Drawer Knobs.

Good news. Got the H&M going by manually depressing and releasing push rod.

IMG_0451.jpg

My Goodnes Gus!!! What did you do?--Drop the engine on it?---Brian

Hi Brian,

I had an odd/big item in between the collapsible trays. Vibration from the engine running on manual H&M must have caused the struts to break. While trying to replace same struts with DIY Aluminiun ones, the plastic pins decided to call it a day. Just when I was about to break thru H&M with the Governor to mount on and tune up.

All my frequently used tools are trapped inside.Retrieving them quite a hassle.

Now working dimensions and sketches. Will be fun. My carpentry skills not world best.

Trust winter is over and spring is here in Canada.All the best.

While trying to get the Hit&Miss going manually,my 6 year old Tool Box got demolished by the Rupnow H&M Engine. Tried buying same Tool Box.Same now obsolete as China does not make it any more.What a sad end to my faithful tool box which served me for last 6 years w/o any complaints.
I have good reason to deviate and DIY my very own custom made Tool Maker's Chest.
It will be a modern version with extra smooth drawer slides and Custom Drawer Knobs.

Good news. Got the H&M going by manually depressing and releasing push rod.

DIY ToolMaker's Chest done and foto taken at nite to hide the (Glaring) flaws.

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

Hi Brian,Paul and Cogsy.

Good news!!!!
With the DIY ToolMaker's Chest done to my satisfaction,work bench housekeeping done, Plastic Bins for fasteners relocated,I have an uncluttered workbench to work on the Hitting & Missing of the Rupnow H&M Engine with peace of mind.
After some fine tuning got the ''real'' Hitting and Missing going but a bit sluggish. Some reworks required before taking videos
of the engine running and ''Hitting & Missing'' operating w/o killing the engine. New carb required. Will rework the original carb
or make new carb. Went around the world in 80 days to get H&M going.:hDe:

Gus, you have a great tool chest there now. I'm looking forward to you getting the hit and miss action going. You mention that you have trouble with the carb, mine worked well from the start, it may pay to check the non return valve.

Paul.

Reactions: gus
Hi HMEM folks,
I got the Hitting&Missing going finally using the Speed Governor. Got it running smoothly and was about to take video and the paving breakers next door was making too much noise. Engine cut out and cut in at very low speed and very real \
''hitting& missing''. Subsequent running ,the H&M seems to have disappear and the engine was backfiring.:wall::rant::hDe:
Please advise what could have gone wrong.Will resume after 4pm.Hopefully H&M come back running smoothly and post on FaceBook.;)

Latest posts

Back